|Send us a tip!||Wednesday, November 1, 2017|
Good morning and welcome to the Morning Chalk Up. Today’s edition was chalked up with the help of an ice cold FITAID before hopping on a flight to Melbourne, Australia. This week, if you start a BEVBOX subscription for any of your favorite LIFEAID products, they’ll give you 50% off your first order plus a free tee or tank. No code necessary, but the offer expires Friday.
QUOTE OF THE DAY
“Strength, perseverance and tolerance: all things that you should strive to improve each day of your life.” — Unknown
CHALK UP IN 2 MINUTES
Our newsfeeds were litered with your costumed cats, dogs, and athletes. Here are our top seven:
- Emily Cullen from CrossFit Pearl District went as Josh Bridges.
- Rich and Hillary Froning’s two kids as Princess and the Pea.
- Val Voboril and her daughter as Batman and Robin.
- This couple dressing up as pirates and working out with pumpkins.
- 85KG Weightlifter Nicholas DiMarco as Jackie Perez.
- These two pirate dogs.
- …and this dancing skeleton going as himself.
Roundup — Chyna Cho created the ultimate ugly Christmas sweater. USA Weightlifting reminded us that there are only 999 days until the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. Colleen Fotsch posed as a body double for a new Playstation video game.
COFFEE BREAK CONVERSATIONS
☕ Best enjoyed with our Rise & Grind coffee mug in hand. ☕
What to tell every mom who’s been there a million mornings before…
Moms, you know that kind of morning that’s “so stressful and rushed and no one listens to me because I keep telling them that it’s time to go upstairs and get dressed but I keep running around cleaning up toys and doing dishes but we never actually go upstairs and get dressed until I am, literally, on the brink of breaking down in a puddle of tears”? Yeah, that kind of morning. Heather Bergeron, wrote in a blog post about scheduling and punctuality that she needs a buffer. The kind of buffer that you give yourself when heading to the airport so you arrive on time in case something goes bad, cause
inevitably it will and then your day is thrown completely off. That kind.
What to tell your coach when the wifi isn’t working…
Improvise. Getting up at the cold crack of dawn is never easy. Just imagine that after dragging your butt out of bed you show up to the box and discover that the wifi is down and the speakers are slient. Nothing says pain like burpees on a cold, silent floor. Roanoke Valley CrossFit coach Tamalyn Tanis wasn’t having any of that, so she rolled up the garage door and drove her car inside and cranked up the music.
HEAR: Addicted to Sugar
Once you have a little bit of sugar (like last night), do you struggle with stopping? The founder of Sugar Free Revolution, Karen Thomson, joins Julie Foucher’s Pursuing Health podcast to share her own battle with addiction and how she treated it.
EAT: Coconut Double Chocolate Pumpkin Bread
This recipe from Ambitious Kitchen is all the fall feels right now. Healthy double chocolate pumpkin bread made with vitamin A packed pumpkin, shredded coconut and whole wheat flour. Tastes like a slice of chocolate cake without the other stuff.
PAIRS WELL WITH COFFEE.
CHALK UP AFFILIATES
- Back again for their second annual Monster Mash fundraiser for children with craniofacial differences, CrossFit Jersey City raised more than $1,000 for myFace, an organization that exists to to help children received personalized and comprehensive care for facial deformities.
- Just added to the calendar, Legends Masters Competition hosted at Offshore CrossFit in Carlsbad, CA is Southern California’s premier Masters only competition.
- Members of BOCO CrossFit in Washington, NC combined to move for a distance of 1-million meters last Sunday. Athletes could run, bike, row, ski or walk. All money raised went to support a local cancer charity.
- On November 11, CrossFit Santa Barbara is hosting a fundraiser for Kettlebells4kids, a nonprofit that works to bring fitness and health to homless kids.