Hurricane Dorian devastated the Bahamas last week, with winds of up to 185 mph destroying everything in its path, leaving a trail of destruction that will take years to recover from. According to Reuters, the official death toll has risen to 44 as of Monday morning. You can survey some of the damage from this NY Times video.
Where affiliates stand:
- Two of the three affiliates are up and running: Happy Hour CrossFit and CrossFit Potcake Bahamas.
- CrossFit Island 242 did not respond to inquiries nor have they posted to Facebook since August 30, but one reader shared that a handful of members lost everything.
Here are a few ways you can help the CrossFit victims of Hurricane Dorian.
On the island:
- CrossFit Potcake is hosting Hope for Bahamas on September 27. They have also set up a GoFundMe to collect donations where 100% of the money raised will be donated to the families of CrossFitters affected by the storm.
Off the island:
- Lifting Culture Apparel custom-designed this hurricane relief t-shirt and tank where 100% of profits are going to Yacht Aid Global, an organization that is mobilizing to get Emergency Relief Kits to the people of the Bahamas.
- Wodapalooza has organized a page listing all the gyms in the Miami, FL area that are currently accepting supply donations for Hurricane Dorian relief. Wodapalooza has also started a GoFundMe page for anyone outside the Miami area that would like to contribute to the relief effort.
- CrossFit 9 in St. Pete, FL held a Hurricane Dorian supply and donation drive over the weekend. While material goods are no longer being accepted, you can still make a monetary contribution through Sol Relief to help transport all donated goods via aircraft.
- The furry members of the CrossFit community in the Bahamas need some help too, so Iron and Rescue is donating a portion of every purchase to the Humane Society of Grand Bahama and the Abaco Shelter, both of which are in need of assistance after the devastation from Hurricane Dorian.
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.