Breathwork, Exposure Therapy, and Mindset with Robert van der Heyden
In Episode 15 of A Fresh Cup of Fitness, hosts Jessica Danger and Brittany Marsh welcome guest Robert van der Heyden, a certified Wim Hof Instructor. Robert shares the benefits of breathwork, cold exposure, and mindset training in your everyday life both in and out of the gym. If you take just one thing from this episode: If you can do Murph, you can do an ice bath. We promise.
- 1:34 — What is breathwork as a practice?
- 3:03 — How is breathwork like CrossFit?
- 3:43 — Robert shares his (dozens!) of certifications in coaching
- 6:45 — CrossFit Journal on having an affiliate in your garage
- 7:38 — CrossFit Anahola
- 8:06 — XPT With Laird Hamilton
- 8:23 — How Robert first found Wim Hof
- 11:55 — Why Robert decided to become a Wim Hof instructor
- 16:02 — Britt’s experience taking the Breathworks class
- 17:27 — Some predisposed concepts of exposure therapy and breathworks
- 18:15 — Definitions of cold exposure and breathworks
- 19:10 — How hot and cold exposure works physiologically
- 19:37 — Mind over body
- 23:23 — How CrossFitters can benefit from breathing techniques
- 28:10 — Different, trusted sources of breathwork
- 29:40 — Robert’s daily practice
- 32:15 — How breathing can influence your state for competition
- 35:17 — A message for skeptics of breathwork and cold exposure
- 36:45 — Wim Hof Method
- 38:14 — OC Ice Club and Friday Night Happy Hour at Sixth Sense in Costa Mesa, CA
- 39:15 — How to find Robert online
- 40:58 — Traction by Gino Wickman
- 41:25 — How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- 42:44 — What Doesn’t Kill Us by Scott Carney
- 42:44 — Vice Documentary on Wim Hof
- 43:45 — Todd Nief From Coach to Business *Jessica gets the name wrong in this episode. Todd forgave her.
- 47:15 — Wim Hof Fundamentals February 1 at Sixth Sense in Costa Mesa, CA
Follow Morning Chalk Up: https://www.instagram.com/morningchalkup/.
Follow Jessica Danger: https://www.instagram.com/mamadanger/.
Follow Brittany Marsh: https://www.instagram.com/the_brittumentary/. Follow Robert van der Heyden: https://www.instagram.com/askrobertvdh/ .