Asia CrossFit Championship Postponed
The Asia CrossFit Championship has now officially been postponed due to the ongoing threat of Coronavirus.
What happened: We’ve been following developments closely since the start of the outbreak, as CrossFit HQ continued to monitor developments in conjunction with event organizers.
They’re not the only ones:
- The Compex Box Challenge in Italy has also been rescheduled to December this year after confirmed cases of the deadly virus in northern Italy. The international fitness competition was originally scheduled for Feb 22-23 in Piacenza, Italy.
- At this stage, it’s not expected to affect the Italian Showdown, scheduled to kick off April 24.
- The event took to Instagram this week to confirm, it’s business as usual for now: “We keep monitoring the situation and working closely with the local and national health and sport authorities to guarantee a safe event for athletes, spectators and for our staff,” the post read.
- The CrossFit German Throwdown has also issued a Coronavirus Update. Currently, the event is still scheduled to take place on March 28 & 29 in Berlin.
- There’s also whispers the Tokyo Olympics – which is on the same week of the 2020 CrossFit Games – could also be canceled, amid more confirmed cases of Coronavirus in Japan.
Affiliates worldwide have also been warning members to be alert but not alarmed.
- San Francisco CrossFit sent a memo to all members with a few simple guidelines including a warning to stay away if you’re ill, wash down all equipment and wash your hands, often: “While we don’t want to jump on the panic train, we do want our community to know what we’re doing to keep you safe,” the memo read.
ACC is the second sanctioned event to be affected this season. “The Fittest in Cape Town” was postponed indefinitely due to a venue dispute.
CrossFit HQ confirmed, “no event, no ticket”: If the Asia CrossFit Championship is ultimately canceled, another team would miss out out on an opportunity to compete at the 2020 CrossFit Games. We hope that doesn’t happen and will monitor the situation in the coming weeks.