Four Things you Need to Know for Day Four in Australia
It’s been a demanding and unpredictable weekend for athletes at the Australian CrossFit Championship and with the final day of competition about to get started, here are the four main storylines we’re following.
Organizers have ensured those who punch their ticket to Madison this weekend, have earnt it.
- The ACC has kept the “unknown and unknowable” theme rolling, and won’t say how many events are in store on Day 4.
- Already individuals have completed nine events in three days. At this rate, the workload will be similar to that of the 2019 CrossFit Games, where athletes completed 12 events from Thursday to Sunday. Teams too have already done nine workouts since Thursday morning.
On the team side of the competition, the two-horse race at the top is between Star Strength Black and Mayhem Independence.
- Given that Mayhem already booked their ticket in Miami, it’s likely the invite will fall to Star Strength Black, a team that includes Games Athlete Alethea Boon.
- Star Strength Black has confirmed to the Morning Chalk Up, if they punch a ticket, they’ll make the trip to Madison with this same roster.
- Mayhem Independence said they’ve enjoyed the push: “It’s good team practice, we didn’t have Taylor at Wodapolooza, so we’re here to kind of feel it out too,” Kristin Miller said.
- “Having the workouts announced last minute, it’s nice ‘cause we just create a game plan like everyone else and just kind of see how it goes. There’s a little less pressure,” Kristin added.
The men’s roster is stacked with Australian CrossFit royalty who are being challenged by the next generation of males in the sport.
- Australian National Champion Bayden Brown didn’t make it past “First Cut” due to a pacing error at the 2019 CrossFit Games, but he’s certainly showing why he deserves a return ticket for redemption as Australia’s National Champion.
- Consistency at the top is likely to see James Newbury earn his return ticket to Madison, after withdrawing from the Open due to injury. He’s also proven why he’s the reigning fifth Fittest Man On Earth. Brown and Newbury enter the final day of competition tied for first place.
- Don’t count out Jay Crouch either though. Under the guidance of nine-time Games athlete Rob Forte he’s continued to shake up the top of the leaderboard throughout the first three days of competition. He comes into the final day of competition still in contention of earning his Games spot.
Postpartum Kara Saunders could make a push for the podium at this year’s CrossFit Games.
- You heard it here first. The former second Fittest Woman on Earth has effortlessly led the weekend from start to finish, even with an early exit in the ‘Flags’ event. It’s evident she’s still got another gear she’s reserving for more stacked competitions like the Rogue Invitational, later this season.
- Madeline Sturt has always been Australia’s quiet achiever and has been nothing but consistent all weekend long.
- With both Sturt and Saunders already earning their invites to Madison, rookie Laura Clifton is currently in the qualifying spot. She told the Morning Chalk Up, she’s only been seriously competing in CrossFit since 2017 and we’re keeping an eye on this young talent who’s proven she’s comfortable moving heavy loads, and fast.
- She’s still fighting off Mia Hesketh and depending on how many events are in store on Sunday, Ellie Turner and Jamie Goodwin still have an outside chance.
How the leaderboard stands at the start of Day 3:
- Kara Saunders (802) | Bayden Brown (742) | Mayhem Independence (620)
- Maddie Sturt (692) | James Newbury (742) | Starr Strength Black (580)
- Laura Clifton (686) | Jay Crouch (686) | Not Behd (475)
- Mia Hesketh (660) | Matt Mcleod (660) | Starr Strength Gold (470)
- Ellie Turner (626) | Phil Hesketh (578) | Send It! (450)
- Jaime Goodwin (606) | Luke Mcmahon (574) | Renegade (390)
- Marnie Sykes (592) | Brandon Swan (570) | Gorilla Health (390)
- Madeline Shelling (586) | Evan Morris (566) | CrossFit Adelaide (385)
- Laken Watt (554) | Calum Foster (558) | Instinct Battlers (330)
- Sammy Dfrescher (536) | Lars Kristensen (556) | Wiser1 Mana (280)
While there’s no live stream of the final day of events at the Gold Coast Convention Centre, you can recap all action so far on our YouTube channel.
As media partners with the Australian CrossFit Championship, we’ll also bring you the full wrap up and interviews with those who’ve conquered the unpredictable and Games-like challenge of the ACC to earn their invite to Madison.