Reebok and Rich Froning Unveil Racecar-Inspired Nano X2
The details: Available in unisex sizing on November 3, the limited-edition Nano X2 Froning will cost community members $150 at select retailers. There will be two color schemes – Core Black/Pure Grey/Neon Cherry and Ftwr White/Neon Blue/Neon Cherry.
- The Nano X2 Froning features “a reinforced breathable open-mesh upper with perforated details.” The purpose is to make the shoe lightweight without any unnecessary features.
- The Nano X2 Froning will feature the Floatride Energy Foam Drop-In. This should provide speed, cushioning, and support during a variety of workouts.
A love of racing: An interesting detail in the press release is that the Froning X2 draws inspiration from the family’s “love of the automotive industry.” There were even specific references to high-speed racecars that are built purely for speed and safety. Comfort is less of a concern.
- Rich Froning Sr. has a lot of merchandise in his garage representing both Dale Earnhardt and Dale Earnhardt Jr. There are flags, decals, and cardboard cutouts.
- The younger Froning is friends with current NASCAR drivers Ricky Stenhouse Jr., Austin Dillon, and Trevor Bayne among others. CrossFit Mayhem also sponsored Dillon for a race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in 2021.
Froning: “Similar to any high-performance sport, speed and precision counts on the competition floor. You need a shoe that’s lightweight and powerful. We built the Nano X2 Froning for athletes looking to dominate the competition when every second counts.”
Basically, It’s the shoe version of when Wrench stripped-down three Mini Coopers for Charlie Croker in “The Italian Job” reboot. He removed unnecessary weight and equipment so that the band of thieves could drive through a Los Angeles home, load up the Minis with gold bars, and escape in a matter of minutes.
A championship match: Like Dale Sr. and GM Goodwrench, Froning has a championship partnership with Reebok. He has been the most successful CrossFit athlete to represent the brand, and he has won 10 titles while wearing a variety of shoe models. Some of these designs were created in collaboration with the shoe company.
- The Froning X2 is only the latest step in this partnership. Froning and Reebok have previously collaborated on shoe models. There was the Nano X Froning, which featured a strap over the laces and a black-and-white color scheme. The Nano X1 Froning followed with its special color schemes and finger loop on the tongue.
- Prior to the Nano X Froning and Nano X1 Froning, there was the Reebok Froning 1 (RF1). These black shoes dropped in 2018 after three years of development and hundreds of rope climbs. They featured a white checkerboard pattern, the unique Froning “R” logo, and an elastic strap for those that didn’t want to tie their shoes.
The Nano X2 Froning will be the next model to join the champ’s line of footwear. It will weigh more than two ounces less than the RF1, and it will have modern updates focused on helping athletes perform better in the box or on the competition floor.