Finding the Right General Manager for Your Gym in 2023
Are you a gym owner looking to hire a general manager so you can be an absentee owner? If so, this post will explain the qualifications and experience your new general manager should have. Knowing what type of person you need as a general manager can help ensure your business runs smoothly and efficiently, even if you are not physically present.
Qualifications for a Gym General Manager
When hiring a general manager for your gym, it’s essential to consider their qualifications and experience. You want someone who knows how to manage people, identify potential problems before they occur, and is comfortable taking on leadership roles to keep things running smoothly. Below are some additional qualifications to look for when hiring a general manager:
• Business Acumen – A good GM should know business management practices. They should be able to analyze financial reports and develop strategies that allow the gym to reach its goals in terms of revenue, membership growth, and customer satisfaction.
• Understanding of the Fitness Industry – Your GM must understand fitness industry trends and practices, including gyms' different types of equipment, how memberships work, basic nutrition principles, etc. The more knowledgeable they are about the industry as a whole, the better they’ll be able to serve your customers and meet their needs.
• Financial Management Skills – As mentioned above, your GM should understand financial statements, create budgets, forecasts, etc., and monitor expenses to maximize profitability for the gym over time.
• Communication Skills – Good communication skills are essential for any leader; it’s impossible to get anything done without communicating effectively with employees or customers! A good GM should be able to speak clearly and calmly with staff or customers to resolve any issues or answer questions they may have.
• Leadership Qualities – Finally, it’s vital that your GM has strong leadership qualities; they should be able to motivate staff members by setting clear expectations and providing guidance when needed. In addition, they should also be able to establish trust with employees by offering praise when appropriate or offering constructive criticism when necessary.
How to find a GM for your business? The first step is to write your job post on GymJobs.com here.
Once you post your available position, you have to be ready to start setting up interviews. An active GM role will have coaches willing to move to your location from wherever they are. There is no shortage of ready coaches looking to step up into a leadership role. Once you start scheduling interviews, you will need a list of questions to ask the potential new GM. If you need help preparing questions, we have a list of great examples here.
Finding the right General Manager for your gym is essential if you plan on being an absentee owner; someone reliable and knowledgeable can help ensure your business continues running smoothly even if you aren’t there every day. When searching for candidates, ensure they possess the qualifications listed above; this will help ensure that you choose someone capable of leading your team effectively while upholding the standards set forth by yourself or other senior staff members at your gym. With these tips in mind finding the perfect fit for General Manager shouldn’t be too tricky! Good luck!
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields