For the first time in the CrossFit Games’ history, viewers could tune in to streams produced by outside media partners and in another language. Altogether 23 different media platforms offered live streams of the CrossFit Games in 11 different languages on both Facebook and YouTube channels.
The big number: We tallied up 11,661,480 total live views on YouTube and Facebook all partners including the CrossFit Games’ own YouTube.
- The total figure is almost certainly significantly higher, but we’re unable to figure for partners who streamed on their website where stats are unavailable.
Top 5 Streams
- Rogue Fitness – 5.07 million
- CrossFit Games – 2.41 million
- Morning Chalk Up – 1.55 million
- Brazil CrossFit Championship (Portuguese) – 592,000
- Mayan CrossFit Classic (Spanish) – 524,000
The big picture: The decision to open the world feed to outside media companies is in line with Greg Glassman’s mission to globalize the CrossFit Games. Next season, the sport further globalizes as the Sanctionals season expands to 19 countries on six continents.
- It shouldn’t come as a surprise that Portuguese and Spanish were the two most streamed languages. Brazil is home to the largest affiliate community outside of the United States with more than 1200. The global Spanish-community across Latin, Central and South America and Europe probably exceed that of Brazil and Portugal.
The bottom line: Games stream figures are an important metric for interest in the sport, but individual Sanctionals’ streams have a long way to go in 1). quality and 2). viewership. Most Sanctionals still aren’t in a position to hit numbers large enough to drive significant ad revenue through viewership.
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.