Our eating habits have changed in lockdown.
In the US we’re getting more takeout and spending significantly less on fresh or organic foods, according to the NY Times.
The recent trend is hardly adhering to the nutritional advice of Coach Greg Glassman to “Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, and no sugar” but we get it, times are tough, the panic is real and temptation is more prevalent than ever.
A few key stats in the processed foods pandemic comeback:
- In the past month, sales of Campbell’s soup are up 59% over last year.
- Prego Pasta sales increased by 52% and sales of Pepperidge Farm Goldfish crackers are up 23%.
To get us all back on track, we’ve gathered the top tips from the pros when it comes to nutrition in lockdown.
Feeding the Frasers
- Anything that’s good enough for the “Well-Fed Fraser” gets a seal of approval. Mat Fraser’s fiance Sammy Moniz has launched an Instagram Show “Talking With Your Mouth Full” to keep us both entertained and informed with her guests including the Fittest on Earth Mat Fraser and Tia-Clair Toomey.
- Sammy’s always been an advocate for treating yourself every now and then and is constantly updating the “Feeding the Frasers” social media with easy to follow recipes — sweet, savory and everything in between. We’re salivating at these pancakes, featured in The Fittest documentary.
In the kitchen with Four Times Games Athlete Kristi Eramo O’Connell
- Kristi and her husband Patrick have been vlogging their daily lockdown antics, including how they keep themselves fueled for their garage training sessions, which you can also watch on their YouTube channel.
- Kristi recently posted a step by step guide to her favorite Grilled Chicken salad, using just five ingredients.
If you’re stuck on healthy, easy dinner ideas, we’ve also found ourselves trawling back through the recent library of recipes on CrossFit’s website.
But it’s not all chicken and rice, athletes are also sharing their sweet treats, which won’t ruin your quarantine gains.
- Kara Saunders’ daughter Scotti was the sous chef, whipping up these Brownie Bliss Balls
- Brooke Wells threw together gluten-free banana waffles, with “super, super clean ingredients”
- Ok, so maybe it wasn’t technically during lockdown but we’d still recommend giving Cole Sager’s cinnamon rolls a whirl.
- We’re also keeping tabs on Noah Ohlsen, who’s recently renovated his kitchen. C’mon Noah, we’re happy but hungry for more.
- We’re also salivating at the self-proclaimed “Casual Crossfitter” Maddy Myers and her iso creations.
- If you’d like to follow along at home like Nate Edwardson, you are welcome to do a day-in-eating-life of Dani Speegle.
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
CrossFit founder Greg Glassman hosted another Zoom video chat with a select group of US affiliate owners for a Zoom…