CrossFit Headquarters Moves To Boulder, Colorado
CrossFit LLC’s headquarters is moving from its original home in Scotts Valley, CA to Boulder, CO. They have signed a lease and intend to move their administrative functions into a 7,100 square foot building in early to mid-December.
- The facility at 2617 Broadway, which used to house the Anthem Branding office, is less than two miles from CrossFit owner Eric Roza’s affiliate, CrossFit Sanitas.
- Initially, “roughly 15” CrossFit employees will be working from the new HQ, CrossFit’s Head of Communications and Public Policy Andrew Weinstein told the Morning Chalk Up. “Thanks to our friends at Rogue for the equipment,” the new headquarters will also feature a gym, he added.
The California connection: Beyond administration offices, California has arguably been the heart of the CrossFit community since its inception.
- Santa Cruz was home to the first CrossFit gym, opened in 2000 by CrossFit Founder Greg Glassman.
- California has always had more affiliates than any other state. During the Regional competition days, while multiple states were often grouped together to form one single region, California was so saturated with affiliates they were given two regions—NorCal and SoCal.
- The first 10 CrossFit Games were held in California, first in the Aromas and then in Los Angeles.
Why this matters: In more recent years, California has become less of a hot spot for CrossFit. The Games moved to Madison, WI in 2017. Furthermore, one of CrossFit Roza’s priorities is to globalize the CrossFit community, not just away from California, but away from the United States.
- In a Town Hall meeting in August, Roza, who also has French citizenship, said one of his goals for CrossFit is for 80 to 90 percent of affiliates to live outside of the United States.
The bottom line: Moving CrossFit’s headquarters from Scotts Valley to Boulder can be seen as a symbolic move, one that highlights the many changes that have been happening at CrossFit since Roza took ownership, but it can also be seen as a shift away from California as the central hub of the community.
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields