23 Questions with Olivia Kerstetter, 2023 CrossFit Games Rookie of the Year
As we head into the end of 2023, it’s a good time to reflect on the season behind us as well as look to what’s coming ahead. But amidst the heavy pondering that comes with the close of the year, it’s also time to approach some more light hearted subjects.
In 2022, Kerstetter took home first in the 16-17 age division. In 2023, Kerstetter would continue to make moves in the teen division, taking first in the Age Group Online Quarterfinals for her division. But Kerstetter also finished 7th at the North America West Semifinals, earning herself a spot at the 2023 CrossFit Games as an individual woman. In her rookie year as an individual, Kerstetter took 16th overall. This week, we sat down with Kerstetter to learn more about a day in the life of a 17-year old CrossFit superstar.
- What’s one thing people don’t know about you?
Olivia Kerstetter: People might not know that I go to school in person full time, unlike most teenage CrossFit athletes.
- AMRAP or For Time?
OK: Depends on my mood hahaha…but most of the time for time.
- What’s one gym accessory everyone should own?
OK: A barbell, duh 💁🏼♀️.
- What’s one non-gym accessory everyone should own?
OK: An air fryer!!!
- Bike, row, ski, or run?
- Run outdoors or on the Assault Runner?
OK: Outdoors always!
- What do you usually eat for lunch?
OK: Rice, chicken, ground turkey, broccoli, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, and Chick-Fil-A sauce every day 🙌🏼.
- Favorite place to be?
OK: Either at the lake or on vacation.
- Least favorite place to be?
OK: School or anywhere early in the morning 🙃.
- What is one thing on your bucket list?
OK: To go skydiving!
- You have 10 minutes to train, what are you doing?
OK: A high intensity sprint workout (like Fran) so I get something out of it.
- What is a trend you’ll never give up?
OK: Biker shorts!!!!
- Describe yourself in 3 words:
OK: Hardworking, loyal, and friendly.
- What are you grateful for this year?
OK: I am grateful to be able to do what I love and for all of the support I get doing it ❤️.
- What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve done in your life?
OK: Probably swimming in a waterfall, snorkeling, or cliff jumping.
- What’s your favorite piece of non-gym clothing you own?
OK: Probably sweatshorts- like sweatpants but shorts.
- What’s at the top of your “most played” on Spotify right now?
OK: Anything Zach Bryan!!!!
- What book or TV series did you recently finish?
OK: I recently finished The Summer I Turned Pretty & am now (re)watching Gilmore Girls.
- Favorite pro sport to watch?
- Is your workout playlist different than your everyday listening?
OK: Yes! Rap for working out, Zach Bryan for anything and everything else!
- Favorite smell?
OK: Ummmm probably good food baking or fresh wood or tile.
- How do you want to be remembered?
OK: I want to be remembered as a good PERSON, not just a good athlete.
- Favorite non-CrossFit pro athlete?
OK: Patrick Mahomes