23 Questions with Sam Briggs, 2023 40-44 Women’s Champion
As we continue with our 23 questions series, we decided it was time to get the 2013 individual women’s champ, and most recently the 2023 40-44 masters champion, Sam Briggs to tell us what she’s been up to this year.
Since 2010, Briggs has made an appearance at the Games nearly every year (2012, 2014, and 2022 were the only years she did not compete) since 2010. In that time, she has stood amongst the top ten individual women five times and on the masters podium twice. At the age of 41, she continues to inspire those who look up to her as she pursues fitness as well as a career in firefighting, where she is a full-time firefighter for the city of Hamilton, OH.
- What’s your favorite time of day?
Sam Briggs: Sunset
- What are you most excited about these days?
SB: Sleep; working nights takes its toll.
- What’s one thing people don’t know about you?
SB: I have double-jointed thumbs
- AMRAP or For Time?
SB: For time
- What’s one gym accessory everyone should own?
SB: Bamboo bar
- Bike, row, ski, or run?
- What do you usually eat for breakfast?
SB: Oats, dates and almond butter with 4 eggs scrambled
- What’s one thing you had to learn the hard way?
SB: Not all animals want to cuddle you
- What did you want to do with your life at age 12?
- Favorite place to be?
SB: By the water
- What’s one piece of advice you wish athletes would listen to?
SB: More isn’t always better
- What is one thing on your bucket list?
SB: Visit Machu Picchu
- What’s your go-to coffee order?
SB: Oat milk cortado
- You have 10 minutes to train, what are you doing?
SB: Bike intervals
- What is a trend you’ll never give up?
SB: Pulling my trouser legs halfway up my calf
- Describe yourself in 3 words
SB: Fun, easygoing, dedicated
- What are you grateful for this year?
SB: Having the chance to compete again
- What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve done in your life?
SB: Jumped out of a plane
- What’s your favorite piece of clothing you own?
SB: Sleeveless hoodies
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
- What’s something you notice about someone when you first meet them?
SB: Their eyes
- Go to fast food restaurant?
SB: Currito – it’s like a better version of Chipotle
- A time you recently practiced “regularly learn and play new sports”?
SB: Pickleball with the guys at work