23 Questions with Rogue Invitational Champion Patrick Vellner
Last month, Patrick Vellner took home his second Rogue Invitational crown. After a weekend of fierce competition, 2023’s Second Fittest Man on Earth bested fellow Canadian and Fittest Man on Earth Jeffrey Adler to take home first overall.
At 33 years old, Patrick Vellner is one of Canada’s (and the world’s) most decorated CrossFit athletes. Since his first individual Games appearance in 2016, Vellner has stood on the podium five times and only placed outside the top ten once in his eight consecutive appearances.
But beyond his CrossFit career, Vellner is a husband, a father (soon-to-be father of two), and a chiropractor. This week, we sat down with Patrick Vellner to continue our 23 Questions series and learn more about one of CrossFit’s favorite Canadians.
1. What’s your favorite time of day?
Patrick Vellner: Early Morning. I wake up earlier than everyone in my family so that’s my personal time. Everything is quiet and I get to space out or do any tasks that need doing without interruption.
2. What are you most excited about these days?
PV: I’m looking forward to the winter season. We have a couple of trips planned and holiday seasons with young kids are so fun.
3. What’s one thing people don’t know about you?
PV: People always seem very surprised to learn that I speak French. Both my wife and I are bilingual.
4. AMRAP or For Time?
PV: For time. Always.
5. What do you usually eat for breakfast?
PV: Two eggs, half a cup of egg whites and either a bowl of oatmeal and fruit or 3 slices of toast. And coffee.
PV: I usually have 2 smaller lunches, one after each training session. Often some sort of boring rice/protein combo and a fruit for meal 1 and meal 2 is usually leftovers from last night’s dinner.
7. What’s one thing you had to learn the hard way?
PV: All of the pressure I feel when I compete is self-imposed.
8. What did you want to do with your life at age 12?
PV: Be a scientist or inventor. I don’t think I really knew what that meant.
9. What’s inspiring in your life right now?
PV: It’s cliche, but watching my son grow so fast and wanting to be a good role model for him.
10. What’s one piece of advice you wish athletes would listen to?
PV: More isn’t always more.
11. What is one thing on your bucket list?
PV: Win the CrossFit Games.
12. What’s your go-to coffee order?
PV: Cappuccino. Regular or Oat milk. Whatever I’m feeling that minute.
13. You have 10 minutes to train, what are you doing?
PV: Stretching haha. I can’t do much with 10 minutes these days. Probably Rowing intervals. Full body, low impact.
14. Who would play you in a biopic about your life?
PV: Owen Wilson or Alan Tudyk
15. One person you’d like to get coffee with?
PV: Arnold Schwarzenegger
16. What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve done in your life?
PV: Went backpacking in Southeast Asia with my younger brother for 4 months.
17. What’s something you notice about someone when you first meet them?
PV: Eye contact and confidence.
18. What’s at the top of your “most played” on Spotify right now?
PV: “It was a Good Day” – Ice Cube
19. Best vacation you’ve ever taken?
PV: My wife and I went to Aruba with our 18-month-old son after I won Wodapalooza in 2022 and that was pretty sweet. A nice holiday after a win hits differently.
20. Go to fast-food restaurant?
PV: A&W. I never go there unless I’m on a road trip that’s at least 5 hours long. But if I’m on a long road trip I go every time.
21. What movie makes you laugh the hardest?
PV: Dumb and Dumber and Zoolander are my classics
22. Secret talent?
PV: I’m a pretty decent juggler.
23. How would your coach describe you?
PV: Hopefully professional, but sometimes cranky.
Cashout – A few extra questions to cap it off.
24. Favorite non-CrossFit pro athlete?
PV: I haven’t followed sports in the last few years as closely as in the past, but I’m a fan of excellence. The highest performers in every sport are amazing to watch.
25. What’s something you won’t be doing in 10 years?
PV: GHD sit-ups.
26. A time you recently practiced “regularly learn and play new sports”?
PV: I played some golf for the first time in a long time recently. I’m terrible, but I swing the club hard. My putting actually isn’t terrible.
27. What’s the best thing that’s happened to you today?
PV: I just woke up, but I guess that’s a good thing. My family is healthy, I just won the Rogue Invitational and I’m headed to a cottage for the week. Life is great.
28. What fictional character do you relate to the most?
PV: Maybe Rocky Balboa. The training, beatings, and epic comebacks resonate.