Georgia Pryer Emerges as a New Force Down Under on Day 1 at Torian Pro
While it’s anything but a shock to see Tia-Clair Toomey sitting on top of the leaderboard at the Torian Pro Semifinals after Day 1 alongside CrossFit Games veterans, Jamie Simmonds and Kara Saunders—the woman currently in fourth place certainly turned heads during the first two events of the weekend on Friday at the Pat Rafter Arena in Brisbane, Australia.
She is 22-year-old Georgia Pryer.
On Day 1: Pryer started the day with a solid first event, placing seventh overall, but where she really shone was on the legless rope climbs during Event 2.
- Pryer attacked the workout from start to finish, effortlessly gliding up the rope, easily winning her heat and finishing second overall with a time of 4:00.92, behind only Toomey.
What we know about Pryer: She might be unknown to the greater CrossFit community, but the former high-level gymnast has been a staple of Australia’s CrossFit competition scene in recent years and is known for excelling in gymnastics events, which she once again proved yesterday with her obvious muscle-up and legless rope climb prowess.
- Pryer also competed at 2019 Asia CrossFit Championships Sanctional as a 19-year-old, placing 22nd overall.
The big picture: Traditionally Oceania has been considered strong at the top, but lacks depth beyond that. However, a lack of depth is quickly proving to be a thing of the past.
- The top three athletes right now are not just Games veterans, but are Games medalists, including a five-time champion, while the quickly improving 2021 Games rookie Ellie Turner—26th at last year’s Games—sits in sixth overall and four-time Games competitor, Madeline Sturt, sits in eighth after Day 1.
- Factor in new names like Pryer, who proved she can hang with the best of them on Day 1, and we must ask the question: Are three spots to the Games enough for Oceania?
- Torian Pro Event Hub: Leaderboard, Schedule, Livestream, Stories, and More
- Torian Pro Day 1 Recap with Lauren Kalil and Bella Martin
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields