Morning Chalk Up is the leading sports publication focused exclusively on the sport, community, and lifestyle of CrossFit. We reach more than 100,000 readers daily, totaling more than 10M+ page views a year. Through original stories, social content, and live reporting and video, our team of journalists travel the globe providing our audience the inspiration and stories they love.
Morning Chalk Up creates everything from long-form stories and feature articles, sports analysis, and investigative reporting. We help shape the daily discussions CrossFit athletes are having across the globe.
If you are interested in joining our growing team, check out the open positions below:
Senior Managing Editor
News never sleeps. Our Senior Managing Editor will be directly responsible for overseeing the newsroom and global story output as well as the daily newsletter. The successful candidate will work directly with our Editor-in-Chief to set the editorial calendar, vet stories, and assign reporters’ stories. You’ll be relied on for your smart feedback, sharp editing skills, news judgment, and analytical skills. You’ll be in charge of keeping everything running smoothly, meeting with writers weekly. The right candidate must be able to plan, edit and assign ground-breaking stories and guide them through the creation process and manage the daily output of news. Driven by a desire to create an original voice and establish a unique voice in the industry, this candidate must have an intimate understanding of the CrossFit community and experience editing others’ work.
What you’ll do:
- Run weekly editorial meetings, assigning stories and providing feedback on story pitches.
- Generate story ideas.
- Work closely with the Editor-in-Chief to develop the voice of the publication.
- Edit stories from staff writers and guest submissions.
- Monitor daily traffic to ensure that goals are met.
- Edit the daily newsletter.
What you’ll have:
- Prior experience as an editor of an online or print publication, or 3-5 years as a journalist.
- Strong copy-editing skills.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English or any related field.
- Previous management experience.
- Strong knowledge of social media, analytics tools, SEO and digital content.
- Superior judgment and discretion.
You must be:
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfortable working and managing staff remotely.
- Open to travel (approximately 3-4 times a year).
Does this sound like you? We’d love to hear from you. Apply today.