Guidelines for Submitting an Op-Ed
Thank you for your interest in submitting an op-ed for consideration to be published in the Morning Chalk Up. Before submitting your piece, here are a few guidelines to help make your submission ready for review.
- Op-eds should be no more than 1,000 words; 600-800 is preferable.
- Pick a topic that you are knowledgeable about and can speak with authority on (Please don’t write about coaching an elite athlete if you have no prior experience!)
- Make an argument. These aren’t stories but op-eds. We want our contributors to put forth an idea or argument that causes readers to consider an alternative point of view or be convinced of something. In short, we’re asking you to “make the case” for your idea.
- Don’t try and sell anything or pitch your products.
Lastly, if you’re looking for some tips, we highly recommend reading Bret Stephens’ “Tips for Aspiring Op-Ed Writers.”
Submitting once it’s ready.
Once your op-ed is ready for review, please email it to [email protected].
- Submissions should in a Google doc or attached Word doc.
Please note: Our staff receives a lot of emails and requests. If we do not respond in five business days then please feel free to submit this op-ed to another publication.