At the very heart of Greg Glassman’s CrossFit methodology is the concept of trackable, repeatable, and measurable tests of fitness. This why every CrossFit Open, athletes redo a past workout to see how far they’ve progressed and whether they worked on weaknesses which held them back.
The CrossFit Games is no different.
While Dave Castro doesn’t always repeat a workout wholesale, several have made their way into the CrossFit Games over the past 11 years. Here’s a brief look back at repeat workouts that have stayed (mostly) the same:
1. The CrossFit Total: 2007 and 2018.
1-rep-max back squat
1-rep-max shoulder press
2. The Ranch Trail Run: 2009 and 2016 (2007 was a 5K).
7K trail run.
3. 1 Rep Max Snatch: 2009 and 2017.
One athlete will lift at a time, with a lift being performed every 20 seconds. Each athlete will get 2 attempts. Then, the 10 athletes with the heaviest lifts will get 2 additional attempts.
4. Deadlift Ladder (Same structure but weights increased): 2009 and 2016.
5. Amanda (upgraded to Amanda .45): 2010 and 2017.
13-11-9-7-5 reps for time of:
M 135 lb. F 95 lb.
6. Half-Marathon Row (increased to a full marathon row): 2013 and 2018.
7. CrossFit Open 17.5 with increased weights: 2017
M 125 lb. F 85 lb.
Time cap: 12 minutes
8. Fibonacci: 2017 and 2018.
5-8-13 reps of:
Double kettlebell deadlifts
Then, OH lunge 89 ft.
9. Clean and Jerk Ladder: 2013 and 2015.
1-rep-max clean and jerk
Athletes will have two 20-second windows to perform a max clean and jerk, rotating through with only one athlete lifting at a time.
10. Murph: 2015 and 2016.
*The Obstacle Course has changed so much from 2012 to 2017 to 2018 that it’s an entirely different event each year, which is why we didn’t include it.