New CrossFit Ownership Provides Affiliate Owners a Reason to Stay, and for Some a Reason to Return
Today’s announcement that eight-year affiliate owner Eric Roza is buying CrossFit Inc. from Greg Glassman has provided hope to many affiliate owners.
- “We were on the fence, but definitely wanted to stay affiliated. I’m glad we decided to wait and see how things played out,” said Justin Sibley, the owner of CrossFit G6 in Mansfield, Texas.
- “Glad we were rational and stuck it out,” said Jeremy Brassard, the owner of Armor CrossFit in Ocoee, FL.
- “Stayed rational and waited for an appropriate response instead of the knee jerk reactions. Glad we stayed affiliated,” added Nick Philpot, the owner of Decima CrossFit in Littleton, CO.
As many as 1200-1300 gyms have announced that they would pursue disaffiliation, but this move might reverse the course for many of them. For example, well-known gym CrossFit Invictus announced disaffiliation, but, it has not officially disaffiliated. CJ Martin, Invictus owner, charted a plan to move forward “solely as Invictus Fitness.” But, he has remained open-minded if major changes occurred, “including the full divestment of Greg (Glassman’s) ownership of the company,” he said.
After today’s news: Martin said, “I don’t know Eric Roza, but I am very impressed with his initial statement and will be really eager to see how he navigates the next few months.”
- He added: “I am certainly hopeful for the future of CrossFit with this change, but will wait and allow time to determine whether we renew our affiliates, or just enjoy watching CrossFit make positive changes from afar,” he added.
Robert VanNewkirk is another owner who might reconsider his intention to disaffiliate.
- “We have rebranded. That will stay regardless. We’re planning to not renew our affiliate in early September. (But) if there are significant positive changes, we may revisit that decision,” said VanNewkirk, the owner of Crossfit Discovery Daniel Island in Charleston, SC.
13-year affiliate owner Dave Henry is also hopeful about Roza.
- “I don’t know much about (Roza), but based on the speed of purchase, and his first action doing a live (Youtube) intro, and his experience in scaling up tech companies, as well as being a passionate CrossFit (athlete), I think that’s the right guy,” Henry said.