Live Like Laura: CrossFit Community Mourns the Loss of Laura Schwartzenberger
The CrossFit community is in mourning this week after the loss of Laura Schwartzenberger, a Florida-based FBI Agent killed on February 2 while executing a warrant related to crimes against children.
Schwartzenberger joined the FBI in 2005 and started her career in New Mexico, according to a local Florida news channel. She was 43-years-old and is survived by a husband and two children.
For the past three years, Schwartzenberger has been an active member of CrossFit VICE in Florida.
- “Laura was a light in this world. A true warrior, a long-time CrossFitter, a wise woman, wonderful mother and beloved by our CrossFit VICE community,” wrote Michelle Brown, who owns the gym with her husband, Justin, on the Live Like Laura Fundraiser page.
- Michelle continues to say that, “Laura has been a mainstay on lacrosse sidelines over the years as she did whatever she could to support her two lacrosse boys. Always on the go, running from field to field, and sometimes back again to watch every minute.”
- “I will miss so many things about the joy of being around you.” she writes. “I will miss our late night texts, your peaceful wisdom, your smile, seeing your braid whipping and hearing your laugh as we lifted. A true hero, always in our hearts.”
Justin says that Schwartzenberger was just a “really humble person… but she knew she was like, very very smart.”
- “She didn’t have to say a lot… just sort of commanded respect because you could see how hard she worked. Anybody in our community just appreciates and respects the person that just puts out full effort every time they come in the gym, and that was Laura,” he adds.
Lift Like Laura: To honor Schwartzenberger, CrossFit VICE has created the Lift Like Laura tribute WOD. On February 13 they will complete the workout, a 21-minute partner AMRAP.
- The AMRAP is composed of a 30-calorie row, 20 burpees over-the-rower, and 10 power cleans. Justin says Schwartzenberger was “known for her engine,” so they designed her tribute WOD to target the engine.
- “She’d always have her hair braided for workouts, and I can just visualize her braid bouncing as she did power cleans and her rowing, and that’s why we put those movements [in],” Justin says.
- “And burpees,” he adds. “She was the person that just wouldn’t rest, no matter how many burpees or how tired she was. She would just keep going.”
Justin says a class of only FBI Agents will come together to complete the WOD on the 13th, along with Schwartzenberger’s sons and their lacrosse teams.
How to help: In addition to the tribute WOD, Justin and Michelle have launched a GoFundMe and are selling Live Like Laura shirts, available for local pickup and delivery. All proceeds – from the shirts and fundraiser – will go directly to Schwartzenberger’s family.
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields