Sean Sweeney Puts Fitness Front and Center With CrossFit Powerstroke Partner Throwdown
Sean Sweeney has been steadily making a positive impact in Fallon, NV, with his affiliate, CrossFit Powerstroke. Now, he will put athletes front and center during a massive fitness competition in the heart of the city.
One big thing: The CrossFit Powerstroke Partner Throwdown, the annual competition put on by the four-time CrossFit Games competitor, will take place on April 15-16 in Fallon. However, the event will be at the Rafter 3C Arena, which can hold up to 8,000 spectators.
- The CrossFit Powerstroke Partner Throwdown will feature two-person teams competing in a variety of events. There will be high-intensity workouts, as well as weightlifting events.
- The field will feature athletes from several Western states. The list includes competitors from Northern California, Utah, and Southern Oregon.
- There are nine categories for 2023. The RX division has male-male, female-female, and male-female teams. The same goes for the Scaled and Masters divisions.
As Sweeney noted in the competition description, there will not be any “insane” workouts programmed. The weightlifting events will not start with 225-pound snatches, “weighted handstand walks, or some crazy [expletive].”
- The RX division requires athletes to be able to move 185/125 pounds on the barbells and complete the main gymnastic movements programmed in CrossFit workouts. This includes double-unders and muscle-ups.
- The Scaled division is for athletes that have some of the CrossFit skills but still have to work on others. Maybe they are solid at weightlifting but struggle with muscle-ups. Maybe they are great at gymnastics but need to gain more strength with barbell movements.
- The Masters division is for athletes over the age of 40 that don’t want to go into the Scaled division. They can choose to compete in RX or face off with peers of a similar age.
Prizes will be awarded to the top three competitors in each competition category. Spectators can also attend the event for free and win prizes of their own.
Sweeney: “Every year, the CrossFit Powerstroke Partner Throwdown brings together athletes of all skill levels under one roof to not only compete, but have a great time for the love of the sport,”
“This year, we are excited that the City of Fallon and Visit Fallon are supporting the growth of this event by allowing us to use the Rafter 3C Arena. This is going to be the largest competition event we’ve had since the inception of the Partner Throwdown to date.”
Why this matters: Sweeney has put in considerable time and effort bringing fitness to the residents of Western Nevada. Now, he is putting it front and center while working alongside the city of Fallon. Community members and bystanders alike will be able to see the impact that CrossFit can have on people regardless of age and skill level.