Behind the Numbers: 2023 Murph Year in Review
Wodify is a leading all-in-one Customer Retention Platform, trusted by 5,000 of the world’s top fitness businesses. With one of the largest & most accurate datasets in the industry, we decided to create this blog series to share specific metrics that are proven to drive results, insights from the most successful gyms, and how Wodify customers can track their progress.
Wodify has compiled data for an updated 2023 Year in Review: Murph Edition for all of you fitness (and data) lovers out there (see last year’s results here to see how they compare to this year’s!) This feature will uncover the number of Wodify users that logged Murph results, PR’d Murph, Murph improvements, and Murph participation demographics.
In this post and on our social media, we will also be announcing the top 5 businesses that logged the most Murph results in Wodify this year.
Before we reveal the results from 2023, let’s do a quick recap on what Murph is. Murph is a workout that is traditionally completed each Memorial Day in honor of Navy Lieutenant Michael P. Murphy (May 7, 1976 – June 28, 2005). He was a United States Navy Seal and was Awarded the Medal of Honor. The Murph workout is done for time and entails:
- A one-mile run
- 100 pull-ups
- 200 push-ups
- 300 squats
- Another one-mile run
(Rx with 20/14 lb vest)
The Data Uncovered
2023 Murph Result Data
Above are the results from all Murph results logged in Wodify during this Spring 2023 season.
This is a great example of why performance tracking is crucial to both clients and business owners.
By monitoring progress, performance tracking ensures client engagement and enhances their understanding of their long-term advancements. It keeps clients engaged and can help them better understand their improvements over time. When clients feel loyal to a workout, they are more likely to stay longer at your business, therefore increasing your customer retention!
Murph Demographics Overtime
Data shows that in 2022 and 2023, the age group with the highest percentage of people logging and completing Murph results is between the ages of 30-40.
Here’s the breakdown:
- 26.1% of results were logged by participants ages 0-30
- 39.2% of results were logged by participants ages 30-40
- 23.9% of results were logged by participants ages 40-50
- 8.6% of results were logged by participants ages 50-60
- 2.1% of results were logged by participants ages 60+
The most interesting part of this graph is that from 2013-2017, the age group with the highest participation was 18-30 and from 2017-2023 the age group with the highest participation is 30-40. This speaks to the longevity of the Murph workout, as the data implies that many of the people in the 18-30 age bracket in 2013-2017 are making up data points in the 30-40 age bracket between 2017-2022.
(NEW) Time to Attempt First Murph
We were interested in the time between when a client first joins their gym, to when they first log a Murph workout. Here’s what we found:
- Almost 10% of new clients will attempt Murph in their first 90 days
- The vast majority of new clients, 62%, attempted Murph between the first 90 days and 1 year
– Do 90 days sound familiar? In a past BTN, we found that clients who reach the 90-day mark are more likely to be retained. Want to track your 90-day retention rate? Use Wodify Insights and manage your Business Health!
Note: These results depend on when a client joins during the year, as most Murph workouts are completed on Memorial Day. We are seeing, however, that there are a handful of new clients that join just before Memorial Day and get right into it, attempting their first Murph!
Top 5 Fitness Businesses Logging Murph Results in Wodify
We have aggregated data from all performances logged within Wodify in 2023 and put together the list of the top 5 businesses that had the highest rate of clients who logged Murph results within Wodify.
Drum roll, please…
- CrossFit RDU (Raleigh, NC): 62%
- Next Level Fitness (Saginaw, MI): 60%
- Fulton CrossFit (Fulton, MO): 50%
- CrossFit Toledo (Toledo, OH): 48%
- Fearless Weights and Fitness (Orchard Park, NY): 46%
Congratulations to all winners and kudos to anyone who participated in Murph this Memorial Day!
The Impact on a Fitness Business Owner’s Bottom Line + Tips
Want to increase your client’s engagement in group workouts such as MURPH? Try these tips:
- Considering using group-heart rate monitoring in your classes! According to the American College of Sports Medicine, gyms that use heart rate monitoring during group classes had increased attendance rates, student motivation, and workout results.
– Interested? Wodify Pulse leverages wearable fitness technology and our own software to provide group heart rate monitoring for any of your classes!
- Use your gym’s data to personalize student experiences! You can analyze your stats to identify areas for improvement, provide a more tailored training experience, and build stronger relationships with your students.
– Need a way to analyze your data? Wodify’s Customer Retention Platform (CRP) has Custom Reporting– a business intelligence tool that allows you to create your own reports based on the data in your gym – all without requiring any technical knowledge!
- Offer workout programming that works! Taking the guesswork out and bringing workout plans from the top programmers is a simplified way to ensure you are providing the best for your students.
– Wodify’s workout marketplace has partnered with the world’s top programmers (like NCFIT, Mayhem Affiliate, and Deka Comp) to completely integrate workout plans into Wodify- saving time and effort for your gym.
We hope you found these insights and advice useful for your business! Keep an eye out for more posts in this series as we continue to explore the data in Wodify.
If you aren’t using Wodify yet, you can book a free consultation here.
Want to keep learning? Check out our most recent Behind The Numbers posts: