CrossFit HQ Removes Instagram Post Decried by Chinese CrossFit Community
The CrossFit Instagram account caused a stir in the community on Friday, just days after returning to the social media platform, after reposting a post from the popular satire and meme account @fluffy__duck, downplaying the coronavirus epidemic. The repost prompted calls to delete the post by multiple Chinese affiliates and the organizer of the Asian CrossFit Championship Sanctional, among several others.
The meme is a reference to the 2011 film Contagion, which is seeing a surge in popularity for many similarities to the current pandemic facing the world today. In the film, the virus is spread from a bat to a pig that was sold in an outdoor Chinese market, a scene that parallels what some experts believe is how COVID-19 started. The virus has killed more than 3,000 in China alone.
What they’re saying: The post, which has now been removed from CrossFit’s page, drew harsh criticisms from followers and the Chinese CrossFit community.
- Max Ma, the affiliate owner of CrossFit One Nation in Shangahi, China and Sanctional director of the Asia CrossFit Championship: “Please delete this. Not funny at all. Is this supposed to help the CrossFit Community grow worldwide? Is this going to give affiliates in China more reason to pay 3000 dollars a year?” followed by a head-slap emoji.
- Chasing CrossFit, an affiliate in Suzhou, China: “This may lead to CrossFit’s death in China, please delete this.”
- Rose Cubbage, opened Qinghai, China’s first affiliate just a little more than a year ago: “How is CrossFit allowing this type of post?? I am so amazed. So much for being “united by fitness”. I am appalled that the official CrossFit Instagram is allowing/posting this. I’m embarrassed for the brand I represent and pay to be a part of. My affiliate is located in China. You have no idea how painful this post is for the affiliate owners here.”
- CrossFit Wookong, an affiliate in Shengyang, China: “It’s not funny.”
What happened: CrossFit has since removed the post but made no statement or apology about the post.
- CrossFit did not respond to request for comment.