CrossFit Announces Online Competition To Raise Cash For Affiliates
CrossFit HQ teased thousands of garage-CrossFitters on Thursday March 26, revealing that an worldwide online competition was in the works.
In the announcement, HQ outlined how that have been approaching the financial predicament facing affiliates worldwide amid closures due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- CrossFit has stopped or reduced fees from affiliates wherever their governments have mandated closures. “We cannot ask our affiliates to pay fees when they are prohibited from keeping their doors open, regardless of the steps they are taking to continue to serve their local communities,” HQ said.
“It’s our turn to give back to them,” the initial release from HQ said.
- “This is an opportunity for all of us to come together and respond to the present uncertainty by lifting each other up and unifying our global community for the benefit of affiliates everywhere.”
We reached out to HQ for more details and learned that the specifics of the “online gathering” are still being decided.
- Head of CrossFit Games Publishing, Jonathan Haynes, told the Morning Chalk Up: “All of headquarters are moving fast to create a grassroots online gathering for the CrossFit community.”
- “We made the initial announcement to tell our community that we’re singularly focused on an event that benefits them and that details will be rolled out rapidly. We have been connecting with as many affiliate owners as we can. Their perspectives have been positive and their feedback helpful,” he said.
What we do know: All registration proceeds from the online competition will be distributed to affiliates in need.
Depending on how many athletes sign up and at what cost, there is a potential to raise a significant sum for affiliates worldwide.
- For example, between the two Opens in 2019, a combined 450,386 individual athletes signed up to participate. Of course, the context is entirely different in this scenario.
CrossFit HQ told the Morning Chalk Up the goal is to work as quickly as possible, and have this online event up and running as soon as possible.
- “We’re not strangers to rallying the community for charitable causes, and this is a unique opportunity for HQ to specifically support affiliates as they support their members and one another,” Haynes added.