United In Movement: A Global Fundraising Initiative
Last week, while the CrossFit Games community was still reeling from a series of postponements and delays to the season, a collection of the biggest brands, athletes, media outlets, and content creators in the CrossFit community gathered via video conference at the behest of Loud and Live Sports.
The purpose? An announcement and call to action for a new collaborative philanthropic effort known as United In Movement, a global fundraising initiative running Friday, April 3 through Saturday, April 11, aimed at uniting people through fitness.
Unite, inspire, support: The goal of the initiative is fairly straightforward, as a response to the COVID-19 pandemic, bring together a global community through the avenue of health and fitness, and in the process raise money and morale for those most affected by the pandemic.
- Gyms, small businesses, and individuals on the front line including hospital staff, support staff, and other humanitarian efforts across the globe will be the focus of the relief efforts.
How it will work: The initiative is a two-pronged effort: first, an online fitness competition available to the masses; second, a digital media platform designed to bring some of the best content available from the biggest names in the space.
- On the media side: There will be a 24-hour livestream kick-off, followed by daily live broadcasts each day of the competition. The livestreams will include a variety of content from athletes, subject matter experts, coaches, influencers, and heads of some of the biggest fitness brands.
- On the competition side: The competition itself will feature 7 workouts in 7 days. It is entirely free to register, workouts can be performed at home with little to no equipment, and the workouts will be accessible to all levels of fitness from competitive athletes to non-active individuals.
- Workouts will be announced live, by elite athletes and coaches, and will be performed in real-time during the broadcast.
Observable, measurable, repeatable: No initiative in this space would be complete without some clearly defined goals and objectives. United In Movement is shooting for 48 hours of live content, $1,000,000+ raised, and 100,000+ participants in total during the week. For the fundraising efforts, there are three main pipelines.
- Registration donations: Registration for the competition is free, but athletes signing up will have the option to add-on donations during the registration process.
- In-stream donations: During the 24-hour livestream kick-off, and during each daily live workout announcement, viewers will have the option to donate directly through the livestream platform and have it appear in the chat.
- Website donations: At any point following the initiative’s launch and moving forward, the option to make donations directly will be available on the United In Movement website.
Alright, let’s do this: Things officially kick-off Friday, April 3 at 8:00PM EST with the 24-hour livestream, which will include the first workout announcement on Saturday, April 4 at 6:00PM EST. From there each subsequent workout will be announced daily at 6:00PM EST until Friday, April 10. The registration and competition deadline is Saturday, April 11 at 8:00PM EST.
- Get involved by spreading the word, hosting a team by creating your own leaderboard, donating prizes, joining the livestream, or raise money within your community.
Everyone is encouraged to reach out if they have any questions about the initiative or getting involved.