The list of qualified athletes choosing to boycott the 2020 CrossFit Games continues to grow as another batch of big names made their intentions to skip this year’s contest known over the weekend through a collection of posts on social media, bringing the total tally to 20. The latest group includes 2013 CrossFit Games Champion and legend of the sport Sam Briggs, and 2017 silver medalist, and perennial podium contender Brent Fikowski.
Five athletes in total joined the list of names boycotting the Games under the current CrossFit Inc. ownership, with four-time individual qualifier Tim Paulson, three-time indy qualifier Camilla Salomonsson-Hellman, and two-time qualifier Emma McQuaid joining Samantha Briggs and Brent Fikowski.
- Briggs: “Until CrossFit has new ownership and I can once again say I’m proud to be called a CrossFit athlete, I will not represent or compete under the brand.”
- FIkowski: “I’ve made the decision to not attend the 2020 CrossFit Games. If you’ve been following the news the last two weeks the reasons are pretty obvious”
- Paulson: “It’s with an incredibly heavy heart that I say I will not be competing in my 4th Crossfit Games — for many of the same reasons we are de-affiliating (Pallas Fitness). It’s time to stand up for change.
- Salomonsson-Hellman: “I’m no longer proud or comfortable competing under the name Crossfit until bigger changes are put in place. In my opinion, it’s not enough that Greg is stepping down as a CEO.”
- McQuaid: “I will not be competing at the CrossFit Games as long as the ownership remains as it presently is.”
One big thing: The current total number of athletes opting out of the 2020 Games now sits at 20, which is one-third (roughly 33%) of the field of 60 athletes chosen to attend the Games in Aromas, which is currently postponed with a yet to be determined date. The list of athletes is split 50/50 with ten men and women each so far. Of the listed athletes, 10 finished inside the top 20 at the Games 2019, and 9 have top-10 finishes at the Games meaning a significant portion of the sport’s elite will be absent.
- Briggs and Fikowski both got their invites via the Dubai CrossFit Championship, and their invites will now presumably backfill down to Lazar Dukic and Emily Rolfe, with Rolfe’s Wodapalooza invite (following Amanda Barnhart’s boycott) potentially ending up in the hands of Colleen Fotsch.
- Noah Ohlsen
- Samuel Cournoyer
- Travis Mayer
- Tim Paulson
- Cole Sager
- Chandler Smith
- Brent Fikowski
- David Shorunke
- Adam Davidson
- Jay Crouch
- Emma McQuaid
- Carol-Ann Reason-Thibault
- Brooke Wells
- Camilla Salomonsson Hellman
- Kristi Eramo O’Connell
- Dani Speegle
- Brooke Haas
- Katrin Davidsdottir
- Amanda Barnhart
- Samantha Briggs
- “Three Major Hurdles For The 2020 CrossFit Games”
- “Developing Story: More Athletes Boycott The Games, Demand Ownership Change”
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.