The Pit Fitness Ranch Elite Teen Throwdown Gains Steam
When the Age Group Divisions were canceled for the 2020 CrossFit Games back on April 30, Azariah Price and Brock Yost jumped into action. Price, a 2019 Games athlete in the 14-15 boys division, wanted to make sure that his fellow teen athletes had a definitive ending to the hard work that they put in during the 2020 Games season. He partnered up with Yost who owns The Pit Fitness Ranch, part of Triple Rivers CrossFit on the Michigan-Indiana border. What they came up with was the Pit Fitness Ranch Elite Teen Throwdown to be held during Labor Day weekend, September 3-6.
Where they are: Since officially announcing the teen-only competition on May 3 the organizers have been working diligently in setting up the event from confirming athletes, organizing media, obtaining sponsors, setting up lodging, an athlete village and programming for their four-day event.
- The competition will feature four divisions across two age groups, boys 14-15, boys 16-17, girls 14-15 and girls 16-17.
- Forty-two athletes from five different countries have been confirmed to compete.
- The event will take place at both the Pit Fitness Ranch and at Triple Rivers CrossFit.
- Lakeside Melodies, a campground with lodging 1.4 miles from the Pit Fitness Ranch, will be the official athlete’s village for the competition.
- Sales from commemorative Rogue medicine balls that will be used during the competition are being sold. The money raised from sales of the medicine balls will go to the Jacob Morris Teen Athlete Awards. Half of the funds will go to the competition prize purse and the other half will go to Keith and Kristy Morris to start a scholarship fund in Jacob’s name for teens who cannot afford gym memberships.
- Live media coverage and streaming will be available for the competition.
- Brands that have already partnered with the competition include FitAid, Born Primitive, Victory Grips, Deadlift Coffee Company, Ascent Protein, Xendurance, Chestee, RPM Training, Culver’s, Corey Lake Orchards and LYFT-RX.
- The organizers are still looking for donations and sponsors to assist in equipment and athlete needs.
- Programming will be done by GRIT, Jacob Heppner’s performance training program.
- Visit the Pit Fitness Ranch Instagram page for more information on the competition.