Urban Energy Dethrone’s Mayhem In Workout Seven On Day 2 (and More Team Highlights)
Everyone loves a great underdog story. The good news is that in the team competition at the 2021 CrossFit Games, everyone is an underdog to Team Mayhem Freedom.
One big thing: On the first day, Mayhem absolutely dominated the competition, going four for four on the first day and moving on to win the first two workouts on the second day.
- However, the final workout brought a twist for team Mayhem.
- As the buzzer sounded and athletes jumped onto the Rogue Echo bikes, several teams immediately pulled in front of the team.
- While Mayhem has come from behind to win workouts before, this time would not be the case.
- As the workout progressed, CrossFit Urban Energy pulled to the front and became the first team of the event to sprint over the finish line and the first team to beat Mayhem this weekend.
- Two more teams would manage to cross the finish line before Mayhem who would ultimately place fourth overall on the workout.
- Nevertheless, Mayhem still sits in first overall at the close of day two of team competition.
Bridging the gap: Currently, Mayhem sits in first with a 123 point lead over CrossFit Urban Energy, a massive point gap for only having completed seven workouts.
- To put that in context, that’s only 15 less points than Tia Clair-Toomey’s lead over her fellow competitors after nine workouts.
- In order to make up points over the next two days, teams will have to fight their hardest, as Mayhem has already clearly pulled themselves away from the pack.
The remaining spots: With Mayhem already 123 points ahead of their competitors, the fight now seems to be for second place.
- Currently, CrossFit Urban Energy and Plus-64 CrossFit sit in second and third place respectively, separated by only 15 points.
- CrossFit Nordic also remains right on their heels, fighting for a potential podium spot as they move into day three, trailing Plus-64 CrossFit by only 12 points.
Moving day: While teams have already had seven workouts to start securing their places on the leaderboard, there still remains two more days of competition.
- Saturday will be a pivotal day for teams to further lock in their spots and move themselves around the leaderboard.
- With ten teams on the cutting board at the close of Saturday’s competition, the teams in the bottom ten and around the cut bubble will also need to fight to keep themselves in competition.