FitFest 2023 Teams Are Stacked, But Which is Best?
December is going to be packed with tons of CrossFit action, but perhaps no competition will be as exciting as the Pro CrossFit Athlete Showcase at FitFest 2023 in the UK.
In this article, we’ll be comparing the incredible elite teams that will be squaring off against one another for bragging (remember, this is a “showcase”), but before we do that, let’s take a look at all that is happening at FitFest on the weekend of December 8-10:
- Pro Athlete Showcase: Three teams of professional CrossFit athletes competing in a series of team-based and individual events against each other.
- Strength in Depth Triple Threat: A same-sex, teams-of-three with Rx+, Rx, Scaled and Masters divisions.
- ATHX Games and ATHX Pro: A partner fitness competition consisting of a two-and-a-half hour event with strength, endurance, and metcon zones.
- England Weightlifting Championships: A weightlifting competition held under the sanctioning of British Weight Lifting (BWL).
- British Indoor Rowing Championships: An open competition featuring 2000m, 500m and combined 2000m/500m time trials.
We have already been spoiled with an incredible off-season so far, and now we get another chance to see many of the sport’s elite athletes compete once again before the end of the year.
Three elite teams have been drafted by team captains Emma Lawson, Danielle Brandon, and Ella Wunger, and they are stacked with talent.
Since the teams are all so solid, let’s dive in a little deeper to see how they compare:
- Danielle Brandon
- Arielle Loewen
- Dallin Pepper
- Thuri Helgadottir
- Jayson Hopper
- Bjorgvin Karl Gudmundsson
Total CrossFit Games appearances: 30
Total CrossFit Games podiums: 3
Every single athlete on this team has not only been to the CrossFit Games but has actually been there two times or more. This is without a doubt the most experienced team in the field and they are going to be the favorite to win it all heading into this event.
- Ella Wunger
- Patrick Vellner
- Jelle Hoste
- Alex Gazan
- Jack Farlow
- Kels Kiel
Total CrossFit Games appearances: 18
Total CrossFit Games podiums: 5
The makeup of this team is super interesting because it’s being led by a 2023 CrossFit Games rookie Ella Wunger, while also including another two rookies Hoste and Farlow. With Patrick Vellner on this team, they also have more Games podium finishes than any other team.
Gazan and Kiel are two of the strongest women in the sport, likely giving this team’s women a slight edge in any strength event.
The battle for all the bragging rights looks like it will be between this team and Team Brandon.
- Emma Lawson
- Brent Fikowski
- Nick Mathew
- Jennifer Muir
- Lucy McGonigle
- Enrico Zenoni
Total CrossFit Games appearances: 13
Total CrossFit Games podiums: 3
Emma Lawson and Brent Fikowski are likely going to be the leaders of this group as they attempt to upset the more experienced Teams Brandon and Wunger. Jennifer Muir and Lucy McGonigle don’t yet have Games experience, but they will be strong additions to the team, nonetheless.
Some final thoughts: Although the competition is expected to have more of a friendly, “local throwdown” vibe, these athletes always play to win. We are probably going to see a pretty intense push in each event.