Five Places to Get Your Coffee Fix in Madison
Finally: the content you’ve been waiting for.
If there’s anything we know for sure, it’s how much our CrossFit community loves coffee. In Wisconsin’s capital city, there’s no shortage of local roasters to help you support small business and caffeinate your way through the weekend. Prepare your hearts and bookmark this list folks — here are the five coffee spots you must checkout while at the CrossFit Games.
1. Cargo Coffee
Address: 1309 S Park St., Madison, WI 53715 (2 miles from venue) and 750 E Washington Ave, Madison, WI 53703 (3 miles from venue)
With two nearby brick-and-mortars, order ahead available (bookmark this page!) and affordable breakfast sandwiches and wraps, this is no-brainer for a group stop on your way to the venue. They’re also open until 5pm for your midday pick-me-up and have live music on Friday night, August 5th.
2. Ancora Cafe and Bakery
107 King Street, Madison, WI, 53703
There’s three locations in Madison, with the one listed being both the original established in 1994, and the closest. Offering a variety of craft drinks, house-made syrups, four non-dairy milk options and a unique variety of fair trade, organic coffees, it’s a Madison staple. They open at 6:30AM and also have an online order ahead option.
3. Johnson Public House
908 E. Johnson Street, Madison, WI 53703
Between the delightful smiley-face branding, an open indoor seating area and rave-worthy donuts (according to Yelp reviews), it’s a solid meet-up spot for planning out your day at the Games. Order ahead here, and we’re not sure what the “Zoom Zoom Juice” on the menu is, but we’re excited to try it.
4. True Coffee Roasters
800 West Broadway, Monona, WI
While they open the latest of those on this list (7:15AM), the micro-roasted coffees are worth it. Located just a 5-minute drive from the venue, order ahead is available, they’re highly rated online and have a variety of teas on the menu as well. Plus, it’s a beverage you can feel good about; True strongly believes in paying growers a fair price for their crop, and master roaster Scott Pederson visits the communities where the coffee is grown that is then roasted in-house.
25 S. Pinckney St., Madison, WI 53703
Conveniently located close to Capital Square, Colectivo has been a local favorite for almost 30-years for their all-day breakfast, scratch bakery, delicious coffee staples and innovative twists on old favorites, like the Cold Brew Oat-Chata. Counting macros or have dietary restrictions? Allergy and nutritional information is available on their website.
Bonus: On-Site Brew from Crescendo Coffee
With a booth in both the North Lot and in the RV Campground, Crescendo Coffee (pictured in the photo header) is your go-to on-site caffeine dealer for the fourth year in a row.
- “Crescendo is a very small locally owned business that uses integrity as a cornerstone of everything we do,” Crescendo Espresso Bar owner and manager, Cait Sirianni, said. “From the way we view sourcing our green coffee, to the intentionality behind our roasting and level of excellence we require from our team in the preparation.”
They’re trusted to take on a big task, serving up coffee to support staff, sponsors and volunteers behind-the-scenes in 15 different locations as well.
- “We love knowing that we are helping to support all of the people that make the Games happen each year…. Everyone’s role is important and it’s an honor to be moving alongside them at this incredible event.”
Strong Coffee Company will also have a booth at the Alliant Energy Center.
Honorable local mentions: Lakeside St. Coffee House, The Victory, Finca and Mother Fool’s Coffeehouse.
Cheers to a great cup of joe! ☕️
Go deeper with our Complete Guide to the 2022 CrossFit Games:
- Spectator’s Guide to the CrossFit Games
- Working Out at the CrossFit Games
- Outdoor Activities in Madison, WI
- Madison’s Best Breweries and Craft Beer
- Next Up: Best Places to Eat in Madison, WI
- For those at home, we’ve also put together ways you can get connected.