Christmas Movies and Family Time: FITAID CrossFit Games Athletes Talk Holiday Traditions and All-Time Favorite Gifts
Ever wonder what FITAID CrossFit Games athletes do on Christmas morning?
Do they train as per usual? Do they take a well-deserved rest day? Or maybe they spend the morning watching old CrossFit Games coverage, or reading old Morning Chalk Up articles…(You never know).
We took it to FITAID athletes to find out, and turns out their Christmas days aren’t so different from yours and mine. Most of all, they’re about family.
What they’re saying: “We are lucky to have most of our family close by, so getting to spend time with parents, my sister, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins is really what I look forward to every year,” said 2022 CrossFit Games Rookie of the Year Emma Lawson. “We spend Christmas Eve with my mom’s side of the family and Christmas Day or Boxing Day with my dad’s side.”
- For veteran Jeff Adler, it’s a similar story. Quality time via “a simple get together “is what matters most, he said, adding that he celebrates on the 23rd with his family.
- Same same for four-time Australian athlete James Newbury. He likes to keep a “simple” and “low key” gathering at his parents place every year, and is looking forward to lunch in Adelaide with some old friends this year.
- Finally, Kelsey Kiel, a four-time Games team athlete is a little more extravagant when it comes to Christmas. From family time, to Christmas movies, music and decorations, she’s all in. “My favorite tradition in general is listening to Christmas music and decorating. I also love to watch a different Christmas movie every weekend,” she said. “I am so excited to be able to spend time with all my family members this year. My sister and nephew will be coming into town so the whole family will be able to be together for multiple days.”
- Kiel is also the only one who takes Christmas day off training, but she always makes time for the 12 Days of Christmas WOD around the holiday. That being said, Newbury admitted Christmas training is “usually just a casual run.”
Just for Fun: What is your favorite gift you have ever received?
- Lawson: My very first personal device. It was an iPod touch and the best ever at the time.
- Adler: We’re the type of people that don’t wait till Christmas to give or receive gifts. But I do love to shop and save some money at that time of year.
- Newbury: A new surfboard back 2004.
- Kiel: This is such a hard one. I don’t know if I could pick a favorite. Is it just me, or was it lame to get new socks as a kid and now as an adult it’s the best thing ever?
It’s not just you, Kelsey Kiel. New socks for the win.