Lazar Djukic Tops Rich Froning’s 2014 Record During 23.1 Live Announcement
Measurable and repeatable: They are part of the reason tens of thousands of people sign up for the CrossFit Open each season. And nothing showcases these concepts better than a repeat workout, as it’s a chance to measure improvement over time.
So when it was revealed that 23.1 was a repeat of 14.4, we knew we were in for a treat.
The workout: Complete as many reps as possible in 14 minutes of:
- 60-calorie row
- 50 toes-to-bar
- 40 wall-ball shots (20/14 pounds)
- 30 cleans (135/95 pounds)
- 20 ring muscle-ups
And if what we witnessed during the live Open announcement in Madrid, Spain on Thursday—featuring a men’s match-up between CrossFit Games athletes Lazar Djukic and Bjorgvin Karl Gudmundsson and a women’s throwdown between Laura Horvath and Gabriela Migala—is any indication of how far the community as a whole has come in the last nine years, it’s safe to say scores will be shattered this week.
The details: Both Djukic and Horvath posted better scores than the top men’s and women’s scores in the world in 2014 (however it was later discovered that the women’s barbell was incorrectly loaded so Horvath and Migala will have to repeat the workout as their scores were deemed invalid). As of Sunday afternoon at 5pm PT time, Horvath sits back in first with a new score of 261 reps, and Djukic is now 16th with his 287 reps, however the scores have yet to be validated by CrossFit.
- Djukic finished the second round of rowing and managed 27 toes-to-bar (287 reps), 10 more reps than Rich Froning’s top score in 2014.
- Further, Gudmundsson’s score of 276 in Madrid was just one rep shy of Froning’s 2014 score, and 25 reps better than he fared nine years ago when he was 22nd in the world with 251 reps.
In a port-workout interview, Lazar said had he listened to his coach’s advice about the toes-to-bar, he thinks he could have done even better.
- Djukic strung together 25 unbroken toes-to-bar off the top in the first round and admitted he “should have done what my coach said,” which was to break them into smaller sets.
Just for fun: We broke down Froning’s performance compared to Djukic to see how he was able to best Froning’s score by 10 reps.
Lazar on 23.1:
- Row: 0:00-2:14 (2:14)
- Toes-to-bar: 2:17-3:57 (1:40)
- Wall balls: 4:00-5:10 (1:10)
- Cleans: 5:16-7:12 (1:56)
- Muscle-ups: 7:24-9:39 (2:15)
- Row: 9:46-12:35 (2:49)
- Toes-to-bar: 12:42-14 minutes (27 toes-to-bar and 287 reps total)
Froning on 14.4:
- Row: :06-2:28 Row (2:22)
- Toes-to-bar: 2:37-4:19 (1:42)
- Wall balls: 4:28-5:48 (unbroken) (1:20)
- Clean: 5:54-7:51 (singles) (1:57)
- Muscle-ups: 8:06-10:14 (2:08)
- Row: 10:30-13:13 (2:43)
- T2B 13:25-14:06 (17 toes-to-bar and 277 reps total)
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields