BREAKING: CrossFit Games Will Not Return to Madison in 2024
The Chippewa Herald reported today that the CrossFit Games will not return to Madison, WI in 2024.
- “Officials with Destination Madison confirmed Saturday that this will be the last year for the event in Madison, which has hosted the games since 2017,” the article stated.
One big thing: The future home of the CrossFit Games has been in question for several years and now, just a few days from the start of the 2023 event, it’s been confirmed that this iteration will be the swan song for Madtown.
In a statement given exclusively to the Morning Chalk Up, CrossFit said:
- “The CrossFit Games gives us an opportunity to engage with our existing community and also expose new people to CrossFit. Over time, our goal is to bring the Games to more regions around the world. We’ve had an incredible run in Madison and we’re so grateful to the city and local community. We will announce the location of the 2024 CrossFit Games shortly after the conclusion of this season.”
Remind me: In July of 2021, CrossFit announced that it was accepting bids for a new host city that would be home to the CrossFit Games for three to five years starting in 2023.
- By December of 2021, the Morning Chalk Up had learned that Austin and Dallas, TX, as well as Denver, CO, and Madison, WI had all submitted an RFP (request for proposal).
The Morning Chalk Up, based on confirmed statements with city officials, reported that Birmingham, AL would become the new host city for 2024-2027, but CrossFit then reversed course.
In January of 2023, after months of speculation, CrossFit announced that the Games would stay in Madison for both the 2023 and 2024 seasons.
- Don Faul, the newly appointed CEO, said at the time: “We’re thrilled to return to Madison where we’ve been able to form an incredible partnership with the city and local community.”
- “CrossFit and Madison have a very special relationship that we are honored to continue for yet another two years, and I know our businesses and residents will welcome CrossFit back in 2023 and 2024 with open arms,” said Jamie Patrick, Destination Madison and Madison Area Sports Commission vice president, as reported that the Wisconsin State Journal.
In today’s Chippewa Herald article, Patrick stated, “When we landed the Games in 2017 for a three-year run, we knew we were in for an exciting time. The passion of the athletes and spectators for Madison, and Madison’s embrace of the Games, sparked CrossFit to double that length of time for an astounding six championships.”
- “This final Madison Games promises some of the most intense competitions and enthusiastic crowds the sport has ever seen.”
The bottom line: The last few years have been a wild ride in terms of anticipating when and if CrossFit might move the Games to a new host city. Despite a pledge to remain in Madison through 2024, it looks like it’s time to buckle up again and ride the speculation train until CrossFit makes its official statement after the 2024 season concludes.
- Sweet Home Alabama: CrossFit Games to Birmingham for 2024-27
- CrossFit Games to Remain in Madison Through 2023
- Everything Is Bigger In Texas: Sports Commission Representative Says Dallas Has Potential to Grow CrossFit if Approved As Games Host City
- Yeehaw! Castro, CrossFit Visit Dallas as Potential Games Location
- Austin, Madison, Denver in Contention to Host CrossFit Games in 2023
- On the Road Again: CrossFit Accepting Bids for New Games Host Site