6 Tips to Improve Your Mental Game for the Open
You have done all you can to be physically prepared for The Open. What impacts your performance most from week to week is your mindset. Here are six tips to help improve your mental game before (and during!) the 2017 CrossFit Open.
1. Take stock of your thoughts. Dwelling on a no rep? Dreading the next WOD? Sulking? Keep count when thoughts drift to something unproductive. Goal = get it to zero.
2. Talk to yourself like a coach would. Would a coach say the things you say to yourself?
3. Think about your best past performances. Why was it your best? How can you recreate that mindset?
4. Visualize the outcome you want. Spend 5 – 10 minutes per day “seeing” your performance go exactly how you want it to, every detail.
5. Take it in, learn from it, and move on. Angry or ecstatic after a WOD. Find the lesson, learn from it and on to the next.
6. When it comes down to it, just GO! You’ve put in the physical work. Trust in your training and do the damn thing.
Alex Bladek is a Mental Performance Coach living in Charlotte, NC. She owns Evolve Performance Consulting, working with athletes to develop the peak performance mindset to achieve their full athletic potential. Follow her on Instagram @evolvepc and here on Facebook.