“I am hoping for some really, really gross workouts. Those are my favorites!”
Emma Cary is clearly a rare bred and if you’ve never heard of the 15-year-old from Missouri, it’s fair to predict the teenager is on the fast track to becoming a household name in CrossFit.
Cary’s performance in the 2020 Open so far: After 20.3, Emma Cary leaves seasoned athletes like Amanda Barnhart and Alessandra Pichelli in her wake, sitting 35th on the worldwide leaderboard.
- In the last three weeks, she finished 12th, 9th and 187th.
- In both 20.1 and 20.2, Cary edged out the likes of former champions in Katrin Davidsdottir and Annie Thorisdottir. Not bad for a teenager, not even old enough to obtain a driver’s license.
- Why she’s not scaling: Because of her birthday, Cary will compete in the 16-17 division which does not scale workouts.
- Watch a snippet of her 20.3 performance here.
“I have really enjoyed having the opportunity to challenge myself by being ranked on the individual leaderboard,” she told the Morning Chalk Up.
The big picture: If Cary were to qualify, she would be the first underage athlete to qualify since the teenage division was introduced in 2013l she’d also be the youngest athlete to ever qualify for the CrossFit Games.
- Cary: “I would love to qualify through top 20. If I achieve this, I will absolutely take the individual invite.”
Beyond her years: The teen has never been one to back down from a challenge, competing at The Granite Games in 2019, where she finished an impressive 15th place in the Open division.
“I learned lessons that I apply in my training, every single day. It wasn’t easy, but it was worth it,” she said. “The competition floor is my happy place, and the place where I am truly alive. 2019 was the best year of my life.”
“I look forward to the relentless pursuit of making 2020 even better.”
Whatever the outcome of the next two weeks – watch this athlete.
Emma plans to compete at Wodapalooza in February (13-15 division) and The Granite Games before returning to Madison in some capacity.
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.