CrossFit HQ announced the final review of the top 40 athletes’ 20.4 video submission and doled out 11 minor penalties and two major ones.
One big thing: Cedric Lapointe received his second major penalty of the CrossFit Open; his first was during 20.1 but was overturned after an appeal. This time it was for “for “consistent lack of depth in the pistols.” Lapointe was actually minutes from stepping onto the floor for event 2 of competition at Filthy 150 when the news broke.
- Lapointe is now 28th overall, just one position under the cut line. Though he will likely be fine, barring any additional penalties, after Rich Froning and potentially one other decline individual invitations to compete on a team.
- Lapointe’s predicament underscores just how valuable early Sanctionals can be. His relatively safe position turned into a questionable bubble position. He can ultimately guarantee a spot at the CrossFit Games, though, by winning this weekend. He currently sits in 7th after Day 1.
- Cedric Lapointe: “At first I was pretty disappointed because it was the second major penalty of the Open … My reps were a little bit borderline, so I didn’t appeal or anything I just accepted it.”
The other athlete to receive a major penalty is Giorgos Karavis, also “for consistent lack of depth in the pistol.”
- Karavais’ 45-second penalty dropped his 20.4 score from 16:20 (16th WW) to 17:05 (41st WW)
- He is still above the blue line in 21st overall. He was previously in 16th.
Who else got the penalties:
- Tia-Clair Toomey was penalized for finishing 1 rep short on the pistols in the final round (consecutive reps on the same leg) The 5-second penalty had no effect on her fourth-place finish in this workout.
- Likewise with Alannah Fisk (still 24th) who received a no rep on a pistol where her “lifted leg planted as the athlete is standing”
- Brooke Haas fell from 8th to 12th for lack of extension in the pistol
- Taylor Williamson moves from 34th to 47th for lack of extension on box jumps
- Emma Tall finished one rep short on the second barbell, which only cost her one place (53rd to 54th) but could be crucial given she’s just on the bubble of qualification in 33rd place.
- Jean-Simon Roy Lemaire copped a minor penalty for having his hand on his thigh in a box jump. He remains in qualification contention.
- Scott Tetlow fell from 7th to 9th in 20.4 for finishing one pistol short in the first round.
- Jacob Heppner and Piotr Szczycinski copped 15-second penalty for stopping and restarting their pistols on the same leg “multiple times”
- Jonne Koski was penalized for tapping his heel on the ground in pistols – falling from 104th to 109th.
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
The 2019-2020 CrossFit Sanctionals season kicks off this week in Dublin, Ireland with the Filthy 150. Our team…