Big Weights Coming in Day 2 in Dubai
After early morning downpours caused some delays, things got back on track as individuals and teams faced a handful of scored events: three for individuals and four for teams.
Your Top 5 After Day 1
- Samantha Briggs (285) | Roman Khrennikov (280) | MisFit P10 Performance (395)
- Emily Rolfe (250) | Brent Fikowski (260) | Team Prepared (380)
- Julie Hougard (238) | Lazar Dukic (260) | We Got Cake (375)
- Gabriela MIgala (234) | Elliot Simmonds (234) | Team Finland (360)
- Sara Sigmundsdottir (232) | Jason Smith (221) | CrossFit YAS (331)
Three interviews to watch:
- Samantha Briggs after a monster day 1.
- Sara Sigmundsdottir after ending the day in fifth.
- MisFit P10 Performance after winning three events and taking second in one.
One big thing: As we reported earlier, Katrin Davidsdottir had initially withdrawn from event 1 over concerns about exacerbating a nagging back issue, but she ended up not competing in any event on day 1. It now appears that she may not compete at all as she isn’t assigned a placement number on the leaderboard.
- Davidsdottir: “I was hoping that I would feel good enough to compete, but I just didn’t feel good enough on the sandbag to risk it. I have the choice to continue going forward, but we’ll have to wait and see.”
- Also withdrawn are Chandler Smith and Giorgos Karavis. Smith, who was on site, was called back to the U.S. for Army duties. It’s unclear why Karavis withdrew.
On tap for day 2 individuals: Everyone’s favorite event — the 1RM Clean and Jerk.
Heats are scheduled in 18 minute sections. With a conservative 5 minute transition between heats, that would give athletes 13 minutes to lift. We’re estimating a little, but that’s a lot of time on the barbell and a bit more than usual.
- Brent Fikowski, Patrick Vellner, Travis Mayer, Willy Georges, Spencer Panchik, Lefteris Theofanidis and Jeff Adler all boast very heavy clean and jerks.
- It will be interesting to see how Jeffrey Adler performs in this raw strength event. He won the 20.4, the clean and jerk ladder event, beating out Mathew Fraser in second by 1:41.
- Keep your eyes peeled on Tola Morakinyo who tied the heaviest clean and jerk in CrossFit competition at the 2017 CrossFit Games with a 387 pound lift. He also set the heaviest snatch record in Dubai last year with 331 pounds.
- This likely won’t be a great event for Sam Briggs, who still isn’t fully recovered from injuring her foot during the jerk in 20.4. She was visibly cautious during the clean and jerk final event in Filthy 150 a couple of weeks ago.
- Sara Sigmundsdottir won the snatch event three weeks ago in Dublin with a monster 95kg lift. She addressed this a little in a post event interview earlier in the day, but if she’s feeling confident after the rib fracture, this could be a good leaderboard boost for her.
- Some other listed totals on the women’s side via Chad Schroeder: Natori – 255, Sigmundsdottir – 248, Pichelli – 245, Greene – 245, Howe – 240, Frey – 231, Tall – 231, and Migala – 238.
Keep this list handy: These are the athletes who’ve already secured an invite to the Games unofficially.
- Men: Patrick Vellner, Bjorgvin Karl Gudmundsson, Travis Mayer, Chandler Smith, Lefteris Theofanidis, Willy Georges, Jeff Adler, Patrick Vellner, Zack George, Uldis Upeneiks, Roman Khrennikov, Jason Smith, and Lazar Dukic.
- Women: Sara Sigmundsdottir, Katrin Davidsdottir, Jamie Greene, Karin Frey, Julie Hougard, Shahad Budebs, Lari Cunha, Gabriela Migala, Alessandra Pichelli, and Fabian Beneito.
The teams: A nasty synchro chipper.
50 Synchro GHD Sit Ups
100 Synchro Wall-balls (30lbs/20lbs)
50 Synchro GHD Sit Ups
25 Box Jump Over 42/36
Then M2/F2 proceeds with the same
Score Event 5: Time
Time cap: 24min