Why Brent Fikowski Probably Isn’t Getting the Dubai Invite
After four days of competition, 11 scored events the 2019 Dubai CrossFit Championship is over. In a field stacked with nearly 30 athletes already qualified, albeit unofficially, it can be a little hard to tell who will actually wind up with the Games invite.
Who’s already qualified (unofficially) for the CrossFit Games:
- Men: Patrick Vellner, Bjorgvin Karl Gudmundsson, Travis Mayer, Lefteris Theofanidis, Willy Georges, Jonne Koski, Elliot Simmonds, Alexandre Caron, Jeff Adler, Patrick Vellner, Zack George, Uldis Upeneiks, Roman Khrennikov, Jason Smith, Fabian Beneito, Karar Margrander, Mahmood Shalan and Lazar Dukic.
- Women: Sara Sigmundsdottir, Jamie Greene, Karin Frey, Julie Hougard, Shahad Budebs, Lari Cunha, Gabriela Migala, Alessandra Pichelli, Emma Tall and Manon Angonese.
Why Fikowski probably won’t get the invite:
- Fikowski finished 32nd in the Open, four spots away from a qualifying spot.
- The three athletes ahead of him, but only two do not have spots: Sean Sweeney (29 — unqualified), Willy Georges (30 — France national champion), and Connor Duddy (31 — unqualified).
- There are three athletes currently in qualifying spots that plan to compete on a team: Rich Froning (Mayhem Freedom), Brandon Luckett (Odd Squad) just qualified by winning SouthFit, and Roy Gamboa (MisFit P10 Performance) who just qualified by winning Dubai.
- With those three athletes going team, that would mean Fikowski would secure an invite via the Open.
So if Fikowski isn’t getting the invite, who is? That would be Tola Morakinyo who just finished ninth after notching two event wins and an average finish of 11.5 over 11 events.
- Morakinyo is no stranger to the competition floor. The three-time CrossFit Games team athlete has competed the last three years in Madison. He currently holds the record for the heaviest snatch in CrossFit competition and is tied for the heaviest clean and jerk.
- Morakinyo clean and jerking 173kg/381 pounds to win the 1RM clean and jerk event.