The Australian CrossFit Championship (ACC) announced a unique and unprecedented initiative to highlight the shift to CrossFit Health. The March event in Queensland, Australia will sponsor one person with Type 2 Diabetes for every 100 tickets sold and support them on their journey to improved health.
- Event Director Darren Coughlan: “True to our roots, we also remain focussed on the core values of CrossFit. This year we are launching our initiative to raise awareness of the broader health benefits of CrossFit for the community at large…we know the real work is done in CrossFit Affiliates all over Australia for the other 51 weeks of the year, for no accolades.”
One big thing: This initiative really gets at what Founder Greg Glassman hopes to achieve in the long run in the Sanctionals expansion: community-focused philanthropy paired with a growing sport. Glassman himself said something nearly identical back in 2018 when announcing the first sanctioned event: “The miracle of CrossFit happens in each one of our affiliates that help people get healthy and stay that way.”
The nomination details.
- Recipients will receive three months of free membership to an Australian-based CrossFit affiliate paid for 3 months.
- Free nutrition support with follow-up consultations will be provided by GCS Training – one of ACC’s title sponsors.
- To nominate an athlete, ask your affiliate to notify ACC by emailing [email protected] with the following details: The affiliate’s name, location, contact details and social media handles. Include the following information about the nominee: contact details, social media accounts and other information believed to be relevant.
- Nominees will be reviewed on March 15. The winners will be notified shortly after.