Twenty Mid-Atlantic Qualifier Invites Announced
The Mid-Atlantic CrossFit Challenge has sent out invitations from their online individual qualifiers. The invitations went out to the top 20 male and female athletes who took part in the four workouts over a two-week span this past January. The athletes then have till January 31 to accept or decline the invites.
Women’s division: Sixteen of the 20 invitees have CrossFit Regional experience and eight have Games experience either as an individual or on a team.
Notable women invitees:
- Colleen Fotsch is a two-times CrossFit Games athlete, who helped NorCal CrossFit Redwood City to a fourth-place finish in 2017. Last season she made the Games as an individual when she placed 27th in the Worldwide Open.
- Paige Semenza is a three-time Games qualifier, competing twice as an individual including last year when she placed 30th overall. She received her invite through a Sanctional when she placed second at the Brazil CrossFit Championship. Last year she competed at the Mid-Atlantic CrossFit Challenge (MACC) where she placed fifth.
- Amanda Goodman is a three-time individual Games athlete placing as high as 10th at the 2015 Games.
- Nicole Holcomb has appeared at the Games three times, twice as an individual. Last season she was a member of the Central Beasts team that placed fifth.
- Christine Kolenbrander has made two Games appearances all with CrossFit 417. This year as an individual she placed 47th in the Open.
- Kelsey Kiel has reached the Games three times as a member of a team. She just earned her first individual Games invite through the Strength in Depth Sanctional.
- Rachel Garibay is a two-time Games athlete who made her first appearance as an individual last year after earning the invite through a stacked field at the Rogue Invitational. She placed 40th at the 2019 Games. This year she finished 40th in the Open.
- Alexis Raptis has two Games appearances in the 16-17 teen division, finishing second in 2016. Last year she placed eighth at the MACC.
- Alexys D’Tiole has made three Regional appearances on a team and looks to earn her first invite to the Games. She finished 56th in the Open and recently finished 11th at the Mayhem Classic.
Men’s division: Thirteen of the invitees have CrossFit Regional experience with three of them competing at the Games either as an individual or on a team.
Notable men invites:
- George Sterner has made two appearances at the Games including last year when he placed 32nd overall. In 2016 he placed second at the Games in the teen 16-17 division.
- Marquan Jones has made one appearance at the Games as an individual in 2018. The three-time Regional athlete finished 40th in the Open this year. Last year he placed fourth at the MACC.
- Owen Bernstein has made the Games twice as a member of a team.
- Nycolas Joyal won the MACC online qualifier. The two-time Regional athlete finished 50th in the Open.
- Jake Berman, a four-time Regional competitor, placed 52nd Open this year.
- Norman Woodring has four Regionals under his belt as well, this year he placed 65th in the Open.
- Jacob Pfaff is a two-time Regional athlete who is also a member of the US Army Warrior Fitness Team. Last year he qualified for the Rogue Invitational.
The Backfill Process: All athletes have until January 31 to accept their invitation to the competition. Any invite declines then will be backfilled from the online qualifiers; those invites have until February 3 to accept.
Additional Spots: The MACC has 20 additional invites each for the men’s and women’s division who finished in the top 100 of the Open. Those athletes must apply for that spot through an application. The deadline for the application is January 31.
Already Confirmed: Last year’s MACC winner John Paul Hethcock has confirmed his return to defend the title and earn his second invite to the Games. Also confirmed is Tammy Wildgoose, who secured her invite through the Atlantic State Qualifier.
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields