With one Sanctional already postponed this season, there’s a possibility of a second being pushed back or taken off the schedule amid the international health scare of Coronavirus.
We’ve been in contact with CrossFit HQ who has confirmed they’re “monitoring the situation in China.”
- CrossFit’s Johnathan Haynes said: “We are in consistent communication with the ACC (Asia CrossFit Championship), and it will provide updates as they become available.”
- There is no timeline or deadline as to when a decision must be made ahead of the live competition in May.
The Morning Chalk Up has been closely monitoring the situation since last month, talking with those in China organizing the Asia CrossFit Championship.
- At this stage the event is still pushing ahead, with registrations now closed after the deadline was pushed back 10 days for final workout submissions.
- The Morning Chalk Up has spoken with several athletes who had planned on competing at ACC but are now reconsidering.
Just this week, the Chinese province at the center of the Coronavirus outbreak reported a record rise in the death toll and infection numbers.
Global health experts have warned the epidemic in China could get far worse before it’s brought under control.
The ACC live event is set to begin May 8 however, the organizers haven’t ruled out postponing the event until 2021.
So, what happens to the Games invites?
Nothing, actually. CrossFit HQ said, no event, no ticket.
- Already two individual tickets and a team spot have been cut after the CrossFit Fittest in Cape Town was postponed in November, due to a venue dispute.
- At the time we looked at the issue in detail, but in short, a charity match between Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal on the same weekend was given precedence.
CrossFit HQ’s Johnathan Haynes added: “Both of these events are experiencing circumstances outside of their control, and each event is handling the situation well up to this point.”
The Morning Chalk Up will continue to follow developments with CrossFit HQ and Asia CrossFit Championship organizers, as both continue to keep the health of athletes and spectators top priority.
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
In the same fashion gyms in the Australian state of Queensland were given just 24 hours notice to close 10 weeks ago,…