Athletes Make an Early Exit From the Australian CrossFit Championship
We’re less than halfway through competition at the Australian CrossFit Championship (ACC) but already the list of withdrawals has been enough for us to sit up and take notice.
There’s also a number of noteworthy absences at the Brazil CrossFit Championship, which we’ve detailed in our “How To Watch” guide for the competition.
- In Australia, wildcard Alec Smith was sitting in fourteenth place after Day 1, but this morning announced his withdrawal due to back trouble.
We sat down with Alec Smith in the lead up to this weekend’s competition on the Gold Coast. He admitted the choice to compete as an individual was a last-minute decision, on the back of his holiday to Sydney.
- Team CrossFit Urban looked to be in contention to score the Games Invite in the team competition, however, they had to withdraw due to Katelin Van Zyl – who’s already earned herself an invite as an individual – twisting her ankle in the rope climb relay.
“When it rains it pours,” she wrote, already nursing an old hockey injury which had her in doubt even before competition began.
- Clint Kohl from New Zealand’s 64 Army CrossFit pulled out from the men’s side of the competition after injuring his shoulder during the event 1 “Flags” at Kurrawa Beach.
A few fan favorites were out even before the competition kicked off at the Gold Coast Convention Centre.
- Jess Coughlan took to Instagram to announce her withdrawal before the beginning of competition: “I have had a rough few weeks with pneumonia and am definitely not in the shape to give the fight required at these competitions,” she wrote.
- Young up and comer Tess Herring, who trains with Coughlan, also failed to show up to compete: “Due to sickness and injury I have made the decision to not compete and focus on getting healthier for the next sanctionals,” Tess Hering wrote.
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields