CrossFit German Throwdown Postponed due to Coronavirus
CrossFit German Throwdown director Benedict Gebhardt today announced that the German Sanctional will be postponed as ordered by local health authorities of the district of Treptow-Köpenick in Berlin. Pressure has been mounting steadily amid Germany’s Health Minister Jens Spahn call last week for events with more than 1,000 attendees to cancel.
- The German CrossFit Throwdown draws around 6,000 spectators.
Two things developed in the last 24 hours:
- During a news conference Wednesday, German Chancellor Angela Merkel predicted that up to 70% of the country’s population could contract the coronavirus.
- The World Health Organization today declared the coronavirus a pandemic.
One big thing: Germany’s postponement brings the total number to three events, following closely on the heels of the Italian Showdown’s announcement. We are still months away from the CrossFit Games kickoff at the end of July which still gives events time to prepare.
What they’re saying: “Due to the rapid spread of the new coronavirus (Covid-19) the responsible health authority of the district of Treptow-Köpenick in Berlin has ordered that the event has to be canceled. German Throwdown had made it known that a decision on holding or canceling the event would only be taken based on the recommendations or instructions of the relevant specialist authorities. Only they possess the necessary information and specialist knowledge in order to draw the right conclusions.”
- Gebhardt added that the event isn’t canceled only postponed, and that “right at the beginning of the outbreak of the coronavirus in Germany we worked out a Plan B to be prepared for all eventualities.”
- The future date is still to be determined but “together with Arena Berlin we are looking for the best available dates before the CrossFit Games.”
This is a rapidly developing story and we’ve been monitoring developments since January. As the official media partner of the CrossFit German Throwdown, the Morning Chalk Up will keep you up to date as the situation evolves.
- “Asia CrossFit Championship Postponed”
- “Coronavirus and CrossFit: Everything you Need to Know”
- “Coronavirus Outbreak in Italy Suspends Compex Box Challenge”
- “Gyms Abroad Face Closures Due to COVID-19, but American Affiliate Owners Remain Unconcerned”
- “Chair Thrusters and Goblet Squats with Pets: How Chinese CrossFitters are Working Out During the Coronavirus Lockdown”