2/26 Update: The Compex Box Challenge has been rescheduled and will now be held on December 5-6 of this year.
The death of one citizen and 15 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in northern Italy has caused the organizers of the Compex Box Challenge to suspend their competition as the host country deals with the outbreak of the deadly virus. The international team fitness competition was originally scheduled for Feb, 22-23 in Piacenza, Italy.
What this means for CrossFit:
- This is the first CrossFit competition outside of China, that we know of, that has been canceled due to the outbreak of the coronavirus.
- The Morning Chalk Up contacted Carlo Strati, event organizer for the CrossFit Italian Showdown, to ask how this affects the Sanctional scheduled for April 24-26.
- “On our side, everything is on track with the Italian Showdown,” commented Strati. “In fact, this year’s edition will not take place in Milan. The city of Riccione is located on the Adriatic Riviera, over 300 km from Milan, in a different region, with no restrictions so far.”
- Milan, the second most populous city in Italy, has reported some of the confirmed cases of coronavirus.
The bottom line: Events across the globe are keeping a close eye on the situation but right now all sanctioned events, including the Italian Showdown, are set to continue.
- Strati: “As of now we have no reason to predict any change to our event,” said Strati. “Should the situation change in the next two months, we will promptly inform you, all the registered athletes and all the spectators.”
- “CrossFit HQ ‘Monitoring The Situation In China’
- “Chair Thrusters and Goblet Squats with Pets: How Chinese CrossFitters are Working Out During the Coronavirus Lockdown”
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
CrossFit HQ teased thousands of garage-CrossFitters on Thursday March 26, revealing that an worldwide online…