Italian Showdown Announces Exodus from Games Season, Teases Official CrossFit Off-Season Events
In a blog post released this weekend, the Italian Showdown revealed that they will not be one of the two European Semifinal events in the new season structure. In the post, the Italian Showdown acknowledged the positive changes the new season brought but ultimately could not make the commitment and still make good on their promise to deliver an event for all 1500 athletes who missed out on the 2020 Showdown.
- “…our first duty is towards the members and spectators of the 2020 edition, to whom we must give the opportunity to participate in the next edition of the Italian Showdown. How to reconcile this duty with the ability to host a CrossFit Semifinal at the same event was the subject of a lengthy technical discussion with the Games team.”
- “The logistical challenges that emerged were complex but sustainable, however, it would have been necessary to extend the overall duration of the event from 3 to 6 days or, alternatively, to extend it over 2 consecutive weekends.”
- “Therefore, in full harmony with the entire CrossFit Games team, we have decided that this year the Italian Showdown will not host one of the two European Semifinals. Our priority for 2021 will be to make every effort to allow current members to participate in the Italian Showdown live, as soon as we are allowed to do so safely.”
- *The text above was translated using Google Translate.
It’s worth noting: The Italian Showdown did mention some new developments for the post-Games September through December off-season that we’ve heard rumors about on several occasions.
- “The big news, which for now we can only mention, is that the CrossFit sports season will not end with the final of the Games in August, but will continue in the “off-season” with a new series of events scheduled in the following months — between September and December — which will animate the Community with new initiatives that will be announced shortly.”