AGOQ Video Review Deadline Looms for CrossFit HQ
Today is CrossFit HQ’s self-imposed deadline to complete the video review process for the Age Group Online Qualifier. One hundred and sixty athletes spread across eight age group divisions wait to learn their CrossFit Games fate as the final AGOQ leaderboard will be finalized once the video review is complete. The final date to finalize the leaderboard is April 27.
- Rulebook Section 2.05: “The video review process for these videos will be completed by April 13, 2020, at 5:00 p.m. PT.”
- Rulebook Section 2.06: “Starting on April 15, 2020, at 5:00 p.m. PT, the top 10 men and 10 women in each age-group division (including teenage divisions) will qualify to compete at the Games…The Games qualification process for age-group athletes will be completed by April 27, 2020, at 5:00 p.m. PT.”
Why it matters: With the specter of a Games cancelation looming large, how HQ handles the AGOQ deadlines could be a key indicator for whether they intend to move forward with the summer Games. Multiple age group athletes confirmed that Games officials requested multiple videos to begin the review process.
- The Morning Chalk Up reached out to many of the athletes currently in qualifying spots in their respective divisions. Each responded that HQ requested videos three days after the end of the AGOQ on March 19.
- The HQ video review team requested videos of workouts one and six of the AGOQ. Within a week, the athletes said that they received an email from HQ saying that the score of their submission for event six was accepted.
- The athletes we talked to said they had yet to hear back regarding their event one submission.
- The AGOQ occurred right when the world began to feel the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Whether the spread of the deadly virus since then has affected the timeline of the video review process will be determined tomorrow if HQ announces that the AGOQ leaderboard is finalized and if invitations are sent out for those athletes in the top ten of each division.