The CrossFit community continues to swirl following comments from the CrossFit founder and CEO, Greg Glassman on twitter. Responding to the Institute for Health Metrics and Education’s tweet of a statement from their director that “Racism Is A Public Health Issue,” Glassman responded with a tweet of his own stating, “It’s FLOYD-19.”
The fallout: The tweet, which appeared to mock the institute’s statement and recent action surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, comes on the heels of a scathing email sent from Glassman to Alyssa Royse of Rocket Community Fitness (formerly Rocket CrossFit). It immediately sparked outrage within the community and the response from affiliates has been swift. In less than 24 hours, over 100 affiliates have spoken out publicly to end their affiliation with CrossFit Inc. and voice their disapproval of Glassman’s words.
- Brick CrossFit, New York, Los Angeles: “BRICK NEW YORK will not be associated with an organization that fails to stand for equality and speak up against racial injustice.”
- Royal Docks CrossFit, London, England: “It has become clear that the values held dear by the Royal Docks community are not currently reflected by CrossFit HQ.”
- CrossFit Park City, Park City, UT: “To those of you in the community. We are better than the words of Glassman and know that. We are a STRONG group that still has such great potential.”
- N.C. Fit, Bay Area, CA: “We owe it to our team, members, and the greater community to stand for something better than what we are witnessing.”
- CrossFit Linchpin, Tacoma WA: “Linchpin does NOT support the statements of CrossFit’s CEO Greg Glassman. Linchpin will be de-affiliating and will NOT continue to be a CrossFit affiliate.”
One big thing: This is just the beginning of a mass exodus at every level. Affiliates, athletes, and companies within the community have stepped up to voice their disapproval and subsequent distancing from CrossFit Inc. as a company going forward.
- The list includes athletes like Katrin Davidsdottir, Chris Spealler, Jason Khalipa, and Rich Froning, who have condemned Glassman’s stance, and Matt Chan who resigned from the CrossFit seminar staff.
- Rogue Fitness, NoBull, Reebok, and more followed suit, speaking out against the CrossFit founder’s sentiments and vowing to stand instead behind the community.
- Reebok’s contract with CrossFit HQ and the Games ends after this season and stated publicly that they have ended negotiations for future seasons along with their partnership with CrossFit HQ.
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
Will Hurst owns Big Little Gyms, a consulting and coaching support provider for gym owners, and spends his days…