Editor’s Note: The original version of this story referred to Roza as a “ten-year affiliate owner.” It is more accurate to state that he is an affiliate owner who began offering CrossFit classes to employees at his Westminster, CO Datalogix office ten years ago, in the summer of 2010.
On Wednesday morning, Dave Castro posted a letter to affiliate owners on Instagram announcing that CrossFit Inc. will be sold to a ten-year athlete and founder of CrossFit Sanitas in Boulder, CO. Roza is also the former senior vice president and general manager of Oracle Data Cloud.
One big thing: Following several tumultuous weeks, CrossFit HQ has been working toward a course correction and to answer calls from the community and elite athletes to make dramatic changes at the top of the organization. Greg Glassman selling his stake in CrossFit would be a major step toward rebuilding confidence in the much-loved global fitness brand.
The details: Dave Castro’s Instagram post revealed important details about the changes that will follow the sale of CrossFit Inc. in the coming weeks.
- “Once the deal is closed next month, he [Eric Roza] will be the new owner and CEO of CrossFit, and I am excited to partner with him as we enter this next stage,” Castro wrote.
- “Eric knows what it’s like to run a box through tough times. He has faced the same issues with payroll and rent during COVID-19, and he knows how to deal with difficult issues in the press,” he continued.
- “He also knows how to build great, inclusive workplaces, with Datalogix making Outside Magazine’s list of best places to work,” he concluded.
Roza will be holding a YouTube Live event at 12:30pm PST to introduce himself to CrossFit affiliates.
From Greg Glassman’s statement on Twitter: “I started a company with some essential and elegant truths that nobody could, or maybe would, tell. It resulted in the fastest growing chain in world history. It did so well and became so popular that it has become a thing far larger than I could have hoped.”
- “The world has changed, but the magnificent human machine, the proven benefits of CrossFit, and its market opportunity remain unchanged. It is time for the founder to bid adieu and find other creative outlets.”
- “I have complete faith that Eric Roza, owner of CrossFit Sanitas, can shepherd CrossFit Inc effectively into this new world.”
From Eric Roza’s Instagram statement: “Dear CrossFit community, Since I discovered CrossFit 10 years ago, it has changed my life, and I am deeply honored to have the opportunity to lead CrossFit through its next chapter as CEO and owner, following the closing next month.”
- “As a box owner and athlete, I’ve experienced CrossFit’s transformative power and the shared bond it creates between people of different races, genders, ages, ethnicities, incomes, educations and physical abilities. That magic, created by our affiliate owners, coaches, and athletes in 158 countries around the world, is real. And I believe it makes the world a better place.”
- “In the past weeks, divisive statements and allegations have left many members of our community struggling to reconcile our transformative experiences in the local box with what we’ve been reading online.”
- “My view is simple: Racism and sexism are abhorrent and will not be tolerated in CrossFit. We open our arms to everyone, and I will be working hard to rebuild bridges with those whose trust we have lost.”
- “I come to you with deep humility and the realization that we have hard work to do. I am committed to listening, I am committed to learning, and I am committed to leading positive change. Most of all, I am committed to CrossFit and to you, as a member of our community.”
- “If you are committed to the future of CrossFit and have ideas, I want to hear from you. And if you loved CrossFit, and we lost you along the way, I want to regain your trust and partnership. Please reach out to me at [email protected]”
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
It has been a tumultuous few weeks for CrossFit Founder, former CEO, and current sole owner of CrossFit Inc. Greg…
A growing coalition of CrossFit Games athletes and some of the biggest names in the sport have spoken up and have made…