2020 CrossFit Games Delayed Again, Earliest Start Date Now September 14
In a call with 2020 CrossFit Games qualifiers on Thursday afternoon, Dave Castro announced that the potential start date of the Games would once again be pushed back. Athletes were informed that the earliest possible start date would be September 14 with the Games ending on the 20th.
One big thing: This is the latest development after HQ announced on June 17 that the Games earliest potential start date would be August 17.
- Current CrossFit CEO and Director of the Games Dave Castro confirmed the call with the athletes on his twitter account.
- During the call, the new dates were discussed and athletes were introduced to the new incoming owner and CEO of CrossFit Eric Roza who addressed them and discussed his hopes for the Games.
- In the June 17 tweet, HQ cited “travel restrictions and circumstances beyond control” while stating more information would be released within a week.
- With a recent spike in cases of COVID-19 across the country and worldwide, travel restrictions have remained in place and appear to be that way for the near future.
- Tommy Marquez outlined other factors that could also be at play for the 2020 Games.