Sweeney, Carroll, Pichelli Testing Games Events at Ranch
A handful of Games athletes who did not qualify for the 2020 CrossFit Games after the qualification rules were changed due to COVID-19 are at the CrossFit Ranch testing Games workouts.
Who’s up there: Sean Sweeney, Jason Carroll and Alessandra Pichelli were pictured in an Instagram story posted by CrossFit’s Director of Media Sevan Matossian. Dave Castro confirmed the intention of their trip in an Instagram post. Alison Scudds and Connor Schmitz were also seen testing at the Ranch back in June.
- Castro often uses CrossFit Games athletes who missed that year’s cut to test out workouts, which allows him to fine-tune weights, distances or time domains.
- Demo teams are largely made up of former Games athletes and athletes on the cusp of qualifying.
- Jason Carroll made frequent trips to Castro’s secret San Diego-based planning facility back in 2018 when he failed to qualify at Regionals. Here’s more on that experience.
- Julian Alcarez donned that honor back in 2017 when he declined his fourth-place Games qualifying spot at the California Regional because he was set to become a father in August.
Why it matters: Testing the events now signals CrossFit Games staff’s intention to continue moving forward with the planning for the event currently scheduled to take place in less than eight weeks.
- As Tommy Marquez pointed out, there are a myriad of complications arising in Calfornia due to COVID-19, specifically in Monterey County where the CrossFit Ranch is located.
- Notably, California Governor Gavin Newsom closed down fitness centers across 30 counties for the second time this year.
- Also worth noting, according to a planner at the Resource Management Agency of Monterey County, the agency responsible for issuing permits, the formal permit application for the CrossFit Games has not yet been filed as of Monday. According to the planner, once the formal application is received, a 30-day review process begins before a hearing is scheduled.
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields