Groupon Joins Community Gyms Coalition, Urges Congress to Pass GYMS Act
This week, Groupon joined the Community Gyms Coalition to help urge Congress to pass the GYMS Act, which would provide relief to gyms and fitness studios around the country impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Remind me: The Community Gyms Coalition (CGC) is a group that represents more than 15,000 community gyms including CrossFit, Mindbody, Orangetheory Fitness, Planet Fitness, Self Esteem Brands, Xponential Fitness, Zumba Fitness, and more.
- The CGC has been lobbying Congress for the past several months to enact legislation that provides direct support to the fitness industry due to government-mandated shutdowns and restrictions.
One big thing: Groupon supports local gyms through coupon-based client acquisition and therefore is part of a larger ecosystem of community fitness. Importantly though, it is also a large and well-known company, and joining the CGC strengthens lobbying efforts to pass the GYMS Act and expands the coalition beyond just boutique fitness centers.
- “Small gyms and fitness studios are important neighborhood fixtures that help create vibrant, healthy communities,” Brian Fields, Chief Commercial Officer at Groupon said. “Groupon believes in the power of local businesses and we’re proud to stand with the fitness industry in support of the Community Gyms Coalition. We urge Congress to take immediate action to help these businesses.”
Why it matters: According to a survey of small, independent gyms and fitness studios, existing federal relief programs have failed to help 63% of gym owners. The relief ineffectively met their cost structures, and gym and fitness studio operators believed loan-based programs only pushed them deeper into financial strain.
- If passed, the GYMS Act would require the Administrator of the Small Business Administration to establish a grant program for fitness facilities.
- Currently, this bipartisan Act has 75 co-sponsors.
How you can help: Contact your representative by filling out this form to urge them to co-sponsor the GYMS Act.
- Community Gyms Coalition Urges Congress to Act in Response to New D.C. Regulations.
- CrossFit LLC, Community Gyms Coalition Fight for Local Gyms.
- Bipartisan Legislation Introduced to Offer Gyms $30 Billion in Economic Relief.